Reflective Practice and the Patient Voice
- 15 Downloads
In this chapter the requirement for research at all levels of education throughout the career of a radiographer is examined, especially as it relates to reflective practice and the requirement to refocus our work on the needs of patients: patient-centred radiography. The qualitative method of critical incident technique is outlined. The events generated using this technique are examined in terms of helping us focus on both positive and negative examples of radiographic technique. An argument is made for the need to base our clinical work on research evidence, rather than just allowing practice to ‘drift or creep’ over time. The concept of reflexivity is introduced as well as the need to evaluate our own biases and impact on any research we carry out.
KeywordsCritical incidents Evidence-based practice Patient-centred care Practice creep/drift Reflection Reflexivity Research utilisation
Thanks go to Joanna McNamara for encouraging her students to provide the therapeutic radiography incidents.
- 4.Quality Assurance Agency. The frameworks for HE qualifications of UK degree awarding bodies. London: QAA; 2014 [Cited 2019 May 3]. https://www.qaa.ac.uk/quality-code/qualifications-and-credit-frameworks.
- 5.Society & College of Radiographers. Education and career framework for the radiography workforce. London: SCoR; 2013 [Cited 2019 May 3]. https://www.sor.org/learning/document-library/education-and-career-framework-radiography-workforce
- 8.CPD Now: your online portfolio and personal CPD accreditation. London: SCoR. [Cited 2019 May 8]. https://www.sor.org/learning/cpd/cpd-now.
- 12.Society & College of Radiographers. Patient public and practitioner partnerships within imaging and radiotherapy: guiding principles. London: SCoR; 2018.Google Scholar
- 17.Society & College of Radiographers. 2016-2021 research strategy. London: SCoR; 2015 [Cited 2019 May 22]. https://www.sor.org/learning/document-library/research-strategy-2016-2021/2016-2021-research-strategy.
- 21.NHS Employers. Simplified knowledge & skills framework. 2019 [cited 2019 May 3]. https://www.nhsemployers.org/SimplifiedKSF.
- 22.Health & Care Professions Council. Standards of continuing professional development. London: HCPC; 2018 [Cited 2019 May 3]. http://www.hpc-uk.org/standards/standards-of-continuing-professional-development/.
- 23.Australian Society of Medical Imaging & Radiation Therapy. Professional practice standards. Sydney: ASMIRT; 2018 [Cited 2019 May 13]. https://www.asmirt.org/media/371/371.pdf.
- 24.Finlay L, Gough B. Reflexivity-a practical guide for researchers in health and social science. Oxford: Blackwell; 2008.Google Scholar