- 18 Downloads
In diagnostic imaging and radiotherapy practice clinical audit is particularly concerned with service provision, patient experience, patient safety, radiation dose and accuracy of treatment or diagnosis. Clinical audit is the assessment of activity against a standard, in order to check that the quality of services is met. It is a continuous cycle to ensure a high standard of service is delivered and is therefore not a one-off procedure. Attention needs to be paid to all aspects within the audit cycle in order to have a successful, safe and compliant service. Clinical audit must be implemented as a routine and necessary part of maintaining best practice and can provide valuable research evidence. This chapter provides an overview of the clinical audit process giving an understanding of what it involves and why it is important in diagnostic imaging and radiotherapy practice.
- 1.Burgess R. New principles of best practice in clinical audit. Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing; 2011.Google Scholar
- 2.Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership. Clinical audit. A manual for lay members of the clinical audit team. 2012. https://www.hqip.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/developing-clinical-audit-patient-panels.pdf. Accessed 17 Oct 2019.
- 3.Health and Care Professions Council. Standards of proficiency-radiographers. 2018. https://www.hcpc-uk.org/resources/standards/standards-of-proficiency-radiographers/. Accessed 20 Oct 2019.
- 4.Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership. Accessing national clinical audit and patient outcomes programme data. 2017. https://www.hqip.org.uk/national-programmes/accessing-ncapop-data/#.Xam972dwaM8. Accessed 17 Oct 2019.
- 5.Royal College of Radiologists. Sedation, analgesia and anaesthesia in the radiology department. 2nd ed. 2018. https://www.rcr.ac.uk/system/files/publication/field_publication_files/bfcr182_safe_sedation.pdf. Accessed 29 May 2019.
- 6.Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership. An introduction to analysing quality improvement and assurance data. 2018. https://www.hqip.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/final-an-introduction-to-data-analysis-october-2018.pdf. Accessed 17 Oct 2019.
- 7.National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. How to use quality standards. 2019. https://www.nice.org.uk/standards-and-indicators/how-to-use-quality-standards. Accessed 17 Oct 2019.
- 8.Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations 2017. Legislation.gov.uk. 2019. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/1322/pdfs/uksi_20171322_en.pdf. Accessed 31 May 2019.