Meta-Analysis of Global Activities in Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR)
- 32 Downloads
Motivated by Mark Billinghurst’s work about where AR (Augmented Reality) research is taking place, we investigated where VR (Virtual Reality) and AR (Augmented Reality) research is happening around the world based on scholarly articles published in the IEEE VR (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Virtual Reality) and ISMAR (International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality) proceedings. We analysed a total of 414 papers published in the last six years from 2012 to 2017 at the ISMAR and IEEE VR. The study shows that the USA leads both VR and AR research followed by Germany and France. The number of published VR papers seems increasing, on the other hand, the number of published AR papers seems slightly decreasing.
KeywordsAR VR Augmented reality Virtual reality ISMAR IEEE VR Proceedings Mark Billinghurst
- Bohn, D. (2018). Intel made smart glasses that look normal. Retrieved from https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16966530/intel-vaunt-smart-glasses-announced-ar-video.
- Billinghurst, M. (2018, May). Where in the world is AR research happening? Retrieved from https://medium.com/@marknb00/where-in-the-world-is-ar-vr-research-happening-ddebbdc6436b.
- Hayden, S. (2018). Pimax to Send Testers Second “8K” Pre-production Headset Amidst Alleged Quality Concerns. Retrieved from https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-send-beta-testers-second-8k-pre-production-headset-amidst-alleged-quality-concerns/.
- IEEE VR (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Conference on Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces). Retrieved from www.ieeevr.org.
- ISMAR (International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality). Retrieved from http://ismar.net.
- Kour, A. (2015). A survey on virtual world. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 5(4). Retrieved from http://www.ijsrp.org/research-paper-0415/ijsrp-p4034.pdf.
- Overton, G. (2017). Augmented World Expo (AWE) comes to Germany in October 2017. Retrieved from https://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/2017/09/augmented-world-expo-awe-comes-to-germany-in-october-2017.html.