Remote Monitoring of COPD Patients During Non-invasive Mechanical Ventilation by a New Tele-medicine Device
- 58 Downloads
Chronic obstructive pulmonary (COPD) disease is a progressive illness that will intensify over time. Exacerbation are frequent and likely caused by bacterial and viral respiratory infections. The management of COPD includes home assistance by noninvasive ventilation (NIV), but no remote monitoring system is generally applied. In this work a telemedicine device based on Smart Breath Analyzer (SBA) devoted to the remote-monitoring of parameters in the exhaled air of COPD patients during NIV was developed. System architecture and preliminary pre-clinical test results were here presented.
KeywordsCOPD Non-invasive mechanical ventilation Breath analyzer Gas sensors
The work was founded by project ReSPIRO (Rete dei Servizi Pneumologici: Integration, Research & Open-innovation—Cluster Tecnologici Regionali, Apulia Region, project cod. F29R1T8). We thank eResults s.r.l. for providing the Omniacare platform. We thank SAD s.r.l. for providing ventilators and the necessary technical assistance and support in experimental set up.
- 2.Pocket guide to COPD diagnosis, management, and prevention, a guide for health care professionals, 2018 Report, © 2018 Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease, Inc. www.goldcopd.org
- 3.Wedzicha JA, Miravitlles M, Hurst JR, Calverley PMA, Albert RK, Anzueto A, Criner GJ, Papi A, Rabe KF, Rigau D, Sliwinski P, Tonia T, Vestbo J, Wilson KC, Krishnan JA (2017) Management of COPD exacerbations: a European respiratory society/American thoracic society guideline. Eur Respir J 49:1600791, 16 pp. https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.00791-2016CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Radogna AV, Capone S, Di Lauro GA, Fiore N, Francioso L, Casino F, Siciliano P, Sabina S, Sabato E (2018) A smart device for supporting mechanical ventilo-therapy. In: IEEE proceedings of international conference on IC design and technology (ICICDT 2018) pp 177–180. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICICDT.2018.8399785
- 9.Radogna AV, Capone S, Di Lauro GA, Fiore N, Francioso L, Casino F, Siciliano P, Sabina S, Sabato E (2019) A smart breath analyser for monitoring home mechanical ventilated patients. In: Andò B. et al (eds) Sensors. CNS 2018. Lecture notes in electrical engineering 539, Springer, Cham, pp 465–471. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-04324-7_56Google Scholar
- 10.Radogna AV, Capone S, Di Lauro GA, Fiore N, Longo V, Giampetruzzi L, Francioso L, Casino F, Siciliano P, Sabina S, Leo CG, Mincarone P, Sabato E (2019) A novel tele-medicine system to improve therapy monitoring in chronic respiratory diseases. In: Leone A, Caroppo A, Rescio G, Diraco G, Siciliano P (eds) Ambient assisted Living. ForItAAL 2018. Lecture notes in electrical engineering 544. Springer, Cham, pp 201–205. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-05921-7_16Google Scholar