Project VELA, Upgrades and Simulation Models of the UNIFI Autonomous Sail Drone
- 14 Downloads
Autonomous Sail Drone represent an interesting research topic but also a potential solution for different applications mainly related to the monitoring of large marine areas or freshwater basins. In this work authors from University of Florence presents the current evolution of UNIFI sail drone. Current vehicle development is focused on many activities. In this work authors have focused their attention on current development of the drone with a particular attention to design of energy management system which plays a key role in maintaining vehicle efficiency and reliability.
Authors wish to thank Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze that have granted the funding of VELA Project.
- 1.Allotta B, Pugi L, Massai T, Boni E, Guidi F, Montagni M (2017) Design and calibration of an innovative ultrasonic, arduino based anemometer. In: Conference proceedings—2017 17th IEEE international conference on environment and electrical engineering and 2017 1st IEEE industrial and commercial power systems Europe, EEEIC. I and CPS Europe 2017, art. no. 7977450. https://doi.org/10.1109/eeeic.2017.7977450
- 2.Alves JC, Cruz NA (2008) FAST—an autonomous sailing platform for oceanographic missions. In: OCEANS 2008, Quebec City, QC, p 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1109/oceans.2008.5152114
- 3.Pugi L, Allotta B, Boni E, Guidi F, Montagni M, Massai T (2018) Integrated design and testing of an anemometer for autonomous sail drones. J Dyn Syst Meas Control Trans ASME 140 (5):055001. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4037840
- 4.Sauzé C, Neal M (2011) Long term power management in sailing robots. In: OCEANS 2011, IEEE, Santander, p 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1109/oceans-spain.2011.6003406
- 5.Boni E, Montagni M, Pugi L (2019) Autonomous sail surface boats, design and testing results of the MOUNTAINS prototype. In: Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, vol 550. pp 453–459 (9783030119720). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-11973-7_54
- 6.Pugi L, Grasso F, Pratesi M, Cipriani M, Bartolomei A (2017) Design and preliminary performance evaluation of a four wheeled vehicle with degraded adhesion conditions. Int J Electr Hybrid Veh 9(1):1–32. https://doi.org/10.1504/ijehv.2017.08281
- 7.Pugi L, Pagliai M, Allotta B (2018) A robust propulsion layout for underwater vehicles with enhanced manoeuvrability and reliability features. Proc Inst Mech Eng Part M: J Eng Marit Environ 232(3):358–376. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475090217696569