Study and Implementation of Ethernet Based Synchronization in Distributed Data Acquisition System
- 206 Downloads
In the recent past, acoustic detection and ranging techniques has become more advanced and sophisticated. In general, the sonar systems consist of distributed data acquisition systems. For accurate ranging these systems needs to be synchronized in time. This can be achieved by custom synchronization techniques or through standard mechanisms like IEEE 1588 PTP (precision time protocol). This project outlines the implementation of a synchronization mechanism with minimal hardware support. The main objective is that it will minimize custom hardware requirements. Using a standard hardware interface like Ethernet will rule out any signal integrity related issues at the physical layer. The accuracy of synchronization across the systems has to be measured and tuned. The implementation will be done on the Microzed board using the Vivado 2018.1.
KeywordsIEEE 1588 Precision time protocol Vivado
This work was supported by the Naval Physical Oceanographic Laboratory and Rajagiri School of Science and technology.
- 1.Fubin, P., Yubo, Y., Lei G., Liangliang, S.: The accuracy of IEEE 1588 time synchronization protocol and its improvement. In: IEEE 12th International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Mahmood, A., Exel, R., Member, IEEE, Sauter, T.: Fellow, IEEE: delay and jitter characterization for software-based clock synchronization over wlan using ptp. IEEE Trans. Ind. Inform. 10(2) (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Mahmood, A., Exel, R.: Servo design for improved performance in software time stamping assisted WLAN synchronization using IEEE 1588. In: Proceedings of Emerging Technology and Factory Automation (ETFA), Cagliari, Italy, pp. 1–8 (Sep 2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Mahmood, A., Gaderer, G., Trsek, H., Schwalowsky, S., Kero, N.: Towards high accuracy in IEEE802.11 based clock synchronization using PTP. In: Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Precis on Clock Synchronization (ISPCS), Munich, Germany, pp. 13–18 (Sep 2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Ronen, O., Lipinski, M.: Enhanced synchronization accuracy in IEEE1588. In: 2015 International IEEE Symposium on Precision Clock Synchronization for Measurement, Control and Communication (ISPCS), pp. 76–81. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Ullmann, M., Vogeler, M.: Delay attacks implication on NTP and PTP time synchronization. In: ISPCS 2009 International IEEE Symposium on Precision Clock Synchronization for Measurement, Control and Communication Brescia, Italy (12–16 Oct 2009)Google Scholar