Estimating the Effect that Interactions Between Chemical Reactions and Environmental Influences Have on the Corrosivity of the Electrolyte
- 623 Downloads
The properties of electrolytes formed from atmospheric processes, whether thin films or droplets, change in response to changes in the environment. Specifically, temperature and relative humidity changes can induce condensation or evaporation directly or indirectly alter the concentrations of dissolved oxygen, alter the solution conductivity, or speed up or slow down chemical reactions, which can alter the corrosivity of the electrolyte. In this work, we develop a numerical model of the galvanic couple between a stainless steel and aluminum alloy exposed to a thin film electrolyte equilibrating to different temperature and relative humidity conditions, and we examine how changes in solution resistivity, dissolved oxygen concentration, and chemical reactions in the electrolyte change the corrosion current in the galvanic couple. We then compare these results to some experimental measurements made on a similar galvanic couple in a controlled humidity and temperature chamber.
KeywordsAtmospheric corrosion Galvanic corrosion Corrosion simulation
This work was sponsored by the US Naval Research Laboratory under its core program; the views and conclusions contained herein are those of the authors and should not be interpreted as necessarily representing the official policies or endorsements, either expressed or implied, of the Office of Naval Research, the US Navy or the US government.
- 2.Matzdorf CA, Nickerson WC, Rincon Troconis BC, Frankel GS, Li L, Buchheit RG (2013) Corrosion 69:1240–1246Google Scholar
- 4.CRC Handbook of Chemistry, and Physics (1989) 70th Edition, Weast RC (Ed) CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, p D-221Google Scholar
- 5.Brett CMA, Brett AM (1993) Electrochemistry: principles, methods, and applications, Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 11.Hangarter CM, Policastro SA (2017) Atmos Marine Corr 75:11–22Google Scholar
- 13.Policastro Steven A, Hangarter Carlos M, Anderson Rachel M, Friedersdorf F (2019) Effect of confined electrolyte volumes on galvanic corrosion kinetics in statically loaded materials. Corr Rev 37:521Google Scholar