Role of Chloride on the Fracture Behaviour of Micro-alloyed Steel in E20 Simulated Fuel Ethanol Environment
- 590 Downloads
The need to fully comprehend the potential of pipelines in fuel ethanol applications has necessitated this study. The influence of chloride in E20 on fracture toughness and tearing resistance of micro-alloyed steel (MAS) was studied with three-point bend specimens. Monotonic J-integral tests were conducted with and without chloride. Results show a decrease in fracture toughness of MAS in the presence of chloride, and a concurrent increase in its ductile tearing resistance. Fractographic examinations showed that chloride in E20 promoted quasi-cleavage fracture.
KeywordsChloride Fracture Micro-alloyed steel SFGE E20
The authors are grateful to the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, India and The World Academy of Sciences, Italy, for the sponsorship of this work. Covenant University is acknowledged for open access funding.
- 5.Joseph OO (2017) Chloride effects on the electrochemical degradation of micro-alloyed steel in E20 simulated fuel ethanol blend. Res Phys 7:1446–1451Google Scholar
- 6.Kane RD, Sridhar N, Brongers MP, Beavers JA, Agrawal AK, Klein LJ (2005) Stress corrosion cracking in fuel ethanol: a recently recognized phenomenon. Mater Perform 44:50–55Google Scholar
- 9.Gui F, Sridhar N, Beavers JA (2010) Localized corrosion of carbon steel and its implications on the mechanism and inhibition of stress corrosion cracking in fuel-grade ethanol. Corrosion 66Google Scholar
- 12.Beavers JA, Gui F, Sridhar N (2011) Effects of environmental and metallurgical factors on the stress corrosion cracking of carbon steel in fuel-grade ethanol. Corrosion 67Google Scholar
- 15.Cao L (2012) Corrosion and stress corrosion cracking of carbon steel in simulated fuel grade ethanol. Ohio State UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 16.Moyo F (2013) Effects of water on the stress corrosion cracking of carbon steel in ethanolic media. University of the WitwatersrandGoogle Scholar
- 17.ASTM E8/E8 M-15a (2015) Standard test method for tension testing of metallic materials. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USAGoogle Scholar
- 18.ASTM-D-4806-01a (2001) Annual book of ASTM standards. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USAGoogle Scholar
- 19.ASTM E1820-08a (2008) Standard test method for measurement of fracture toughness. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USAGoogle Scholar