Natural Teaching of Robot-Assisted Rearranging Exercises for Cognitive Training
Social Assistive Robots are a powerful tool to be used in patients’ cognitive training. The purpose of this study is to evaluate a new methodology to enable caregivers to teach cognitive exercises to the robot in an easy and natural way. We build upon our existing framework, in which a robot is employed to provide encouragement and hints while a patient is physically playing a cognitive exercise. In this paper, we focus on empowering the caregiver to easily teach new board exercises to the robot by providing positive examples.
The proposed learning method has two main advantages (i) the teaching procedure is human-friendly (ii) the produced exercise rules are human-understandable. The learning algorithm is validated in 6 exercises with different characteristics, correctly identifying and representing the rules from a few examples.
KeywordsSAR Robotic assisted exercises Natural teaching
Authors would like to thank Patrick Grosch, Sergi Hernandez and Alejandro López for assembling and programming the electronic board. Thanks to Nofar Sinai (http://www.vikkiacademy.com/) for allowing us to use some frames of the SOCRATES video.
- 1.Alzheimer’s disease facts and figures. Alzheimer’s & Dementia, pp. 367–429, March 2018Google Scholar
- 3.Aineto, D., Jiménez, S., Onaindia, E.: Learning STRIPS action models with classical planning. In: ICAPS (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Berg-Weger, M., Stewart, D.B.: Non-pharmacologic interventions for persons with dementia. Mo. Med. 114(2), 116–119 (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Calinon, S.: Learning from demonstration (programming by demonstration). In: Encyclopedia of Robotics, pp. 1–8 (2018)Google Scholar
- 13.Irwin, K., et al.: Healthy aging and dementia: two roads diverging in midlife? (2018)Google Scholar
- 17.Overall, J.E., Schaltenbrand, R.: The SKT neuropsychological test battery. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry Neurol. 5(0891–9887), 220–227 (1992)Google Scholar
- 18.Pieskä, S., Pieskäa, J., Saukko, O.: Towards easier human-robot interaction to help inexperienced operators in SMEs. In: 3rd IEEE International Conference on CogInfoCom 2012 - Proceedings, pp. 333–338 (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.Pot, E., et al.: Choregraphe: a graphical tool for humanoid robot programming. In: Proceedings - IEEE International Workshop on RO-MAN, pp. 46–51 (2009)Google Scholar
- 20.Pu, L., et al.: The effectiveness of social robots for older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled studies (2019)Google Scholar
- 21.Rintanen, J.: Madagascar: scalable planning with SAT. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Planning Competition (2014)Google Scholar
- 23.Tiddi, I., et al.: A user-friendly interface to control ROS robotic platforms. In: CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 2180 (2018)Google Scholar