Empowerment: Error Management Through Cultural Change in Medicine
- 22 Downloads
This chapter illustrates that any error management system, its techniques and its structures need to be embedded in a broader error management culture in a hospital in the Netherlands. Non-innovative and overly hierarchical structures are incompatible with such a culture, and the empowerment of personnel traditionally in the lower echelons of hierarchical systems (nurses, air hostesses) is a necessary, efficient and cost-effective precondition and cornerstone for such a system.
Empowerment is the promise of greater responsibility and participation towards the individual employee. It was developed as a management concept during the 1980s and 1990s. Its modern origins lie in American community psychology.
In accordance with the author’s background, most examples and experiences described are from the medical field.
KeywordsMistake Error Failure Medical contexts Empowerment
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990). Flow: The psychology of optimal experience. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. (2019). Moore’s law. Retrieved 8 September 2019, from https://www.britannica.com/technology/Moores-law.
- Friedman, T.L. (2017). Thank You For Being Late. New York: Picador/Farrar Straus & Giroux.Google Scholar
- Kahneman, D. (2017). Thinking Fast and Slow. New York: Farrar Straus & Giroux.Google Scholar
- Kohn, L., Corrigan, J., & Donaldson, M. (2000). To err is human. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Pronovost, P., Needham, D., Berenholtz, S., Sinopoli, D., Chu, H., Cosgrove, S., Sexton, B., Hyzy, R., Welsh, R., Roth, G., Bander, J., Kepros, J., Goeschel, C. (2006). An Intervention to Decrease Catheter-Related Bloodstream Infections in the ICU. New England Journal of Medicine, 355, 2725–2732.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rose, J., Weiser, T., Hider, P., Wilson, L., Gruen, R., & Bickler, S. (2015). Estimated need for surgery worldwide based on prevalence of diseases: a modelling strategy for the WHO Global Health Estimate. The Lancet Global Health, 3, S13-S20. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s2214-109x(15)70087-2CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Topol, E. (2019). Deep Medicine. New York: Ingram Publisher Services US.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2019). WHO Surgical Safety Checklist. Retrieved 8 September 2019, from https://www.who.int/patientsafety/safesurgery/checklist/en/