Blockchain Technology: Adoption Perspectives in Tourism
- 223 Downloads
The aim of the paper is to ascertain whether the blockchain technology represents a functional tool for better governance of the tourism system. Innovation adoption has been widely debated among scholars in order to identify variables and models that boost adoption processes within touristic firms. Although the blockchain technology is at its first stage of development, thanks to instruments such as cryptocurrencies, smart contracts, and decentralized applications, it has already a significant impact on tourism business deals. The paper is based on selective literature on the topic and aims at providing a brief review of its progress. It also offers a number of suggestions for research directions yet to be adequately investigated. The innovative factor of the paper lies in offering a complete overview of the current extent of application of the theories of blockchain technology in tourist sector.
KeywordsHospitality Network science Blockchain Tourism management Competitive advantage
- Firica, O. (2017). Blockchain technology: promises and realities of the year 2017. Quality—Access to success, 18, 51–58.Google Scholar
- Mofokeng, N., & Fatima, T. (2018). Future tourism trends: Utilizing non-fungible tokens to aid wildlife conservation. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, 7(4).Google Scholar
- Nakamoto, S. (2008). Bitcoin: A peer-to peer electronic cash system. Retrieved December 2018 from https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf.
- Nam, K., Dutt, S. C., Chathoth, P., & Khan, S. M. (2019). Blockchain technology for smart city and smart tourism: Latest trends and challenges. Journal Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 24(5), 71–87.Google Scholar
- Pilkington, M., & Crudu, R. (2017). Blockchain and bitcoin as a way to lift a country out of poverty tourism 2.0 and e-governance in the Republic of Moldova. International Journal of Internet Technology and Secured Transactions, 7(2), 115–143.Google Scholar
- Polukhina, A., Arnaberdiyev, A., & Tarasova, A. (2019). Leading technologies in tourism: using blockchain in travel chain project. Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research, 318.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y., Han, F. H., & Beynon-Davies, P. (2019). Understanding blockchain technology for future supply chains: a systematic literature review and research agenda. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 24(1), 62–84.Google Scholar
- Woodside, J. M., Augustine, F. K., Jr., & Giberson, W. (2017). Blockchain technology adoption status and strategies. Journal of International Technology and Information Management, 26(2), 65–93.Google Scholar
- Zsarnoczky, M. (2018). The digital future of the tourism & hospitality industry. Boston Hospitality Review, 1–10, https://www.bu.edu/bhr/files /2018/06/The-Digital-Future-of-the-Tourism-and-Hospitality-Industry.pdf.