Australian Startup’s: Case Study Examples
- 194 Downloads
There has been an increasing amount of interest in startups due to their ability to change the economic and social conditions of a country. Australia as a country is investing more effort into startups as a way to increase international competitiveness. The aim of this chapter is to discuss some successful startups in a range of sectors including the beauty, clothing and education sector. By providing a case study analysis of each company, it can help to provide feedback about lessons learnt and how to improve in the future. Conclusions are stated that highlight the importance of developing a startup culture.
- CEO Magazine, (2018). Tea with a twist: Nicole Sparshott. Available at: https://www.theceomagazine.com/executive-interviews/food-beverage/nicole-sparshott/. Accessed 8 Sept 2019.
- Kainth, S. (2016). Meet the Indian-Australian ‘Chai Walli’ who is business woman of the year. Available at: https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/meet-the-indian-australian-chai-walli-who-is-business-woman-of-the-year. Accessed 20 Aug 2019.
- Kauflin, J. (2018). How a 28-year-old turned Layaway for Millennials into a billion-dollar business. Available at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffkauflin/2018/07/03/how-a-28-year-old-turned-layaway-for-millennials-into-a-2-billion-business/#1417875a59db. Accessed 24 Aug 2019.
- Knowles, C. (2019). Aus-based employment platform raises AU$22 m in funding round. Available at: https://itbrief.com.au/story/aus-based-employment-platform-raises-au-22m-in-funding-round. Accessed 25 Aug 2019.
- Lorna Jane, (2018). Lorna Jane: Our story. Available at: https://www.lornajane.com.au/ourbrand. Accessed 1 Sept 2019.
- Page, R. (2019). T2’s Nicole sparshott: Lessons in making the leap from CMO to CEO. Available at: https://www.cmo.com.au/article/665227/t2-nicole-sparshott-lessons-making-leap-from-cmo-ceo/. Accessed 27 Aug 2019.
- Palmer-Derrien, S. (2019). Australia’s startup ecosystem rises in the global ranks, with Sydney leading the way. Available at: https://www.smartcompany.com.au/startupsmart/news/australia-global-startup-ecosystem-ranking/. Accessed 24 Aug 2019.
- Peterson, H. (2014). Pundits are saying this exploding Australian fitness brand could overtake Lululemon. Available at: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/australian-fitness-brand-lorna-jane-2014-5. Accessed 1 Sept 2019.
- Powell, D. (2016). How Aesop chief executive Michael O’Keeffe helped craft a $250 million business model. Available at: https://www.smartcompany.com.au/entrepreneurs/influencers-profiles/how-aesop-chief-executive-michael-okeeffe-helped-craft-a-250-million-business-model/. Accessed 20 Aug 2019.
- Shapiro, J. (2019). Afterpay names Anthony Eisen as CEO. Available at: https://www.afr.com/companies/financial-services/afterpay-names-anthony-eisen-as-ceo-20190702-p5238d. Accessed 24 Aug 2019.
- Shearer, M. (2016). How T2 founder Maryanne Shearer nurtured her passion for tea to create a leading brand. Available at: https://www.smartcompany.com.au/entrepreneurs/how-t2-founder-maryanne-shearer-nurtured-her-passion-for-tea-to-create-a-leading-brand/. Accessed 27 Aug 2019.
- The Australian Business Executive, (2016a). Emma & Tom’s: Looking after Australia. Online Available at: http://www.theabe.com.au/2016/10/14/emma-toms-foods-looking-after-australia/. Accessed 19 Aug 2019.
- The Australian Business Executive, (2016b). Emma & Tom’s: Looking after Australia. Available at: https://theabe.com.au/2016/10/14/emma-toms-foods-looking-after-australia/. Accessed 11 Sept 2019.