Building a Chinese Facial Expression Database for Automatically Detecting Academic Emotions to Support Instruction in Blended and Digital Learning Environments
This paper specifically focuses on how to build a Chinese facial expression database collecting the facial expressions of college students and describes a strategy to develop an automatically detecting technique for academic emotions to support teachers making better decisions in blended and digital learning environments. There are some famous worldwide databases of facial emotion expressions, e.g., Amsterdam Dynamic Facial Expression Set (ADFES), Montreal set of facial displays of emotion, or Brazillian FEI database. Their major collections are full facial expression of western people with very limited Asian or Chinese faces. Because some emotion facial expressions might be culturally bounded, it arises the necessity to develop a Chinese facial expression database as a critical step to develop an automatically facial emotion expression dictating technique with high accuracy.
KeywordsFacial expressions of emotion Basic emotions Academic emotions Blended and digital learning environments
- 8.Ekman, P., Friesen, W.V.: Facial Action Coding System: A Technique for the Measurement of Facial Movement. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto (1978)Google Scholar
- 10.Chen, Y.-M.: A deep learning and aggregation network based face surveillance system, tested by realistic scenarios (Unpublished master thesis advised by professor Being-Fei Wu). National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan (2018)Google Scholar
- 11.Yang, J., Ren, P., Chen, D., Wen, F., Li, H., Hua, G.: Neural aggregation network for video face recognition. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CoRR (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Lucey, P., Cohn, J.F., Kanade, T., Saragih, J., Ambadar, Z., Matthews, I.: The extended Cohn-Kanade dataset (CK +): a complete facial expression dataset for action unit and emotion-specified expression. In: 3rd IEEE Workshop on CVPR for Human Communicative Behavior Analysis (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Facial action coding system. https://www.paulekman.com/facial-action-coding-system/. Accessed 2019