Trigger Warnings in Criminology Teaching Contexts: Some Reflections Based on Ten Years of Teaching a Sensitive Topic
- 11 Downloads
The concept of “Trigger Warnings” has recently emerged in the Higher Education landscape and is proving to be both controversial and challenging to implement. Some educators frame “trigger warnings” as an ethical practice linked to pastoral care for students, others see them as a dangerous concept that can potentially erode the choice of topics we expose students to. The chapter draws on the learning and teaching practices delivered in the course Crime, Law and Trauma. The chapter examines the different ways in which trigger warnings are delivered in different contexts—teaching and non-teaching—to explore precisely how and when we might issue trigger warnings when teaching criminology topics that contain material that poses a potential to distress students.
- Albrechtsen, J. (2016). No-Offence Culture of American Campuses Hurts Australia Too. Retrieved April 20, 2018, from https://www.theaustralian.com.au/…/nooffence-culture…/de4c9d490deb1468dcb942f1b.
- Chanbonpin, K. D. (2015). Crisis and Trigger Warnings: Reflections on Legal Education and the Social Value of the Law. Chicago Kent Law Review, 90(2), 615–637.Google Scholar
- College Fix Staff. (2015). Salman Rushdie is ‘A Little Worried’ About Trigger Warnings as a New NYU Instructor. The College Fix. Retrieved April 11, 2018, from https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/24198.
- Essig, L. (2014). Trigger Warnings Trigger Me. Chronicle of Higher Education, 10.Google Scholar
- Filipovic, J. (2014). We’ve Gone Too Far with “Trigger Warnings”. The Guardian, 5, 12–18. Retrieved May 1, 2018, from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/05/trigger-warnings-can-be-counterproductive.
- Florêncio, J. (2016). Why I Won’t Be Issuing Trigger Warnings to Students. The Conversation. Retrieved November 28, 2017, from https://theconversation.com/why-i-wont-be-issuing-trigger-warnings-to-students-66624.
- Forstie, C. (2016). Trigger Warnings. In N. M. Rodriguez, W. J. Martino, J. C. Ingrey, & E. Brockenbrough (Eds.), Critical Concepts in Queer Studies and Education. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Friedersdorf, C. (2014). What HBO Can Teach Colleges About “Trigger Warnings”. The Atlantic, 20.Google Scholar
- Held, V. (2006). The Ethics of Care: Personal, Political, and Global. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hume, M. (2015). Trigger Warnings: Is the Fear of Being Offensive Killing Free Speech? London: William Collins.Google Scholar
- Kyrölä, K. (2015). Toward a Contextual Pedagogy of Pain. Lambda Nordica, 1, 131–144.Google Scholar
- Lane, B. (2017). Trigger Warnings Stifle Knowledge: Marguerite Johnson. The Australian. Retrieved March 17, 2018, from https://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/trigger-warnings-stifle-knowledge-marguerite-johnson/news-story/28d7793de3ff7d0e1971a78fba536833.
- Lukianoff, G. (2016). Trigger Warnings: A Gun to the Head of Academia. In T. Slater (Ed.), Unsafe Space. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Lukianoff, G., & Haidt, J. (2015). The Coddling of the American Mind. The Atlantic, 316(2), 42–52.Google Scholar
- Manne, K. (2015). Why I Use Trigger Warnings. The New York Times. Retrieved April 14, 2018, from https://www.bu.edu/fafc/files/2015/10/Why-I-Use-Trigger-Warnings-The-New-York-Times.pdf.
- McNally, R. (2016). If You Need a Trigger Warning, You Need P.T.S.D. Treatment. New York Times Opinion. Retrieved May 10, 2018, from https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2016/09/13/do-trigger-warnings-work/if-you-need-a-trigger-warning-you-need-ptsd-treatment.
- Palmer, T. (2017). Monash University Trigger Warning Policy Fires Up Free Speech Debate. ABC NEWS, March 29. Retrieved May 2, 2018, from http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-28/monash-university-adopts-trigger-warning-policy/8390264.
- Pigliucci, M. (2015). The False Dichotomy of Trigger Warnings. Scientia Saloon: An Archived Blog About Science & Philosophy. Retrieved December 1, 2017, from https://scientiasalon.wordpress.com/2015/05/28/the-false-dichotomy-of-trigger-warnings/.
- Sainty, L. (2017) Here’s What Australian Uni Students Think of Trigger Warnings. Buzzfeed News. Retrieved May 5, 2018, from https://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/trigger-warnings-stifle-knowledge-marguerite-johnson/news-story/28d7793de3ff7d0e1971a78fba536833.
- Veraldi, L., & Veraldi, D. M. (2015). Stressors, Triggers and Trauma: Considering DSM-5 in the Debate Over Campus Trigger Warnings. American Journal of Forensic Psychology, 33(3), 5–17.Google Scholar