Sparse Representation Based Super-Resolution of MRI Images with Non-Local Total Variation Regularization
Diffusion-weighted and Spectroscopic MR images are found to be very helpful for diagnostic purposes as they provide complementary information to that provided by conventional MRI. These images are also acquired at a faster rate, but with low signal-to-noise ratio. This limitation can be overcome by applying image super-resolution techniques. In this paper, we propose a single-image super-resolution (SISR) technique via sparse representation for diffusion-weighted (DW) and spectroscopic MR (MRS) images. It is based on non-local total variation approach to regularize an ill-posed inverse problem of SISR. Experiments are conducted for both DW and MRS test images and the results are compared with other recent regularization-based methods using sparse representation. The comparison also validates the potential of the proposed method for clinical applications.
KeywordsSuper-resolution NLTV regularization DW MRI MRSI Sparse representation
Authors would like to thank All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) for providing funds under the project (File No. 8-15/RIFD/RPS/POLICY-1/2016-17) and Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeiTY), GoI for providing financial support under the Visvesvaraya Ph.D. Scheme for Electronics & IT (Ph.D./MLA/ 04(41)/2015-16/01) which helped in smooth conduction of the above research work.
- 3.Ceccarelli, M., di Bisceglie, M., Galdi, C., Giangregorio, G., Ullo, S.L.: Image registration using non-linear diffusion. In: IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Datta, S., Deka, B., Mullah, H.U., Kumar, S.: An efficient interpolated compressed sensing method for highly correlated 2D multi-slice MRI. In: 2016 International Conference on Accessibility to Digital World (ICADW), pp. 187–192, December 2016Google Scholar
- 6.Glasner, D., Bagon, S., Irani, M.: Super-resolution from a single image. In: 12th International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 349–356. IEEE, Japan (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Jain, S., et al.: Patch based super-resolution of MR spectroscopic images. In: 2016 IEEE 13th International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI) (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, J., Liu, S., Xiong, R., Ma, S., Zhao, D.: Improved total variation based image compressive sensing recovery by nonlocal regularization. In: IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, ISCAS 2013, Beijing, China (2013)Google Scholar