Design of a Low-Cost Wind Turbine Controller for Decentralized Rural Electrification Through the Small Wind Turbine
This paper present the development of a low-cost wind turbine controller for decentralized rural electrification through the small wind turbine. This controller allows on the one hand protecting the battery against overcharging and deep discharge. On the other hand, it helps to protect the turbine against strong winds. It is controlled by PIC microcontroller 16F877A. This control function is performed using an algorithm that continuously compares the battery voltage to the charge and discharge thresholds, and tilting towards dissipation resistors. The control signals generated by the microcontroller are PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) type. The validation of the main functions of the controller is presented. The main advantages of this controller are the robustness, the simplicity and especially the low cost.
KeywordsController Wind turbine Microcontroller
The authors would like to thank the “African Center of Excellence in Mathematics, Computing and ICT, CEA-MITIC” has supported the costs of transportation to present this work in the 3rd edition of Intersol in Cairo.
- Amin, N., Azim, M.A., Sopian, K. Development of cost effective charge controller with data acquisition options for PV powered sensor nodes. In: 33rd IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2008. PVSC 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- Datasheet PIC 16F877A: Microchip Technology Inc. (2012)Google Scholar
- Kirchev, M.A.: Studies of the pulse charge of lead-acid batteries for PV applications, part II. Impedance of the positive plate revisited (2007)Google Scholar
- Mayeux, P.: Apprendre la Programmation des PIC par l’Expérimentation et la Simulation. ETSF 2nd edn. 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- Ndiaye, A., Judalet, V., Kébé, C.M.F., Ndiaye, P.A.: Développement d’un régulateur de charge/décharge de batterie à seuils configurables pour des applications éoliennes. J. des Sciences Pour l’Ingénieur 1(12), 57–62 (2010). http://www.ajol.info/index.php/jspi/article/view/67976
- Usher, E.P., Ross, M.M.D.: Recommended Practices for Charge Controllers. Report IEA PVPS T3-05 (1998)Google Scholar
- Thiringer, T., Petersson, a.: Control of a Variable-Speed Pitch-Regulated Wind Turbine, Chalmers University of Technology (2005)Google Scholar
- Heier, S.: Wind Energy Conversion systems, pp. 39–41, Wiley (2006)Google Scholar
- Ingram, G.: Wind Turbine Blade Analysis Using the Blade Element Momentum Method, Durham University, October 2011Google Scholar