Translational Science and Healthcare Quality and Safety Improvement from Mastery Learning
- 25 Downloads
Mastery learning contributes to translational science (TS) in the health professions not only when learning outcomes are measured in educational settings (T1) but also when outcomes are measured as “downstream” results including patient care practices (T2), patient outcomes (T3), and collateral effects (T4). This chapter describes a simulation-based mastery learning (SBML) education and research program on central venous catheter insertion that has achieved results in all four TS categories. The program is successful because it involves a series of evaluation research studies that are thematic, sustained, and cumulative. The chapter concludes with a section on mastery learning and healthcare quality and safety improvement.
KeywordsCollateral effects Cost savings Central venous catheter insertion Healthcare Mastery learning Minimum passing standard Patient care Patient outcomes Quality improvement Return on investment Skill retention Translational science
- 2.Barsuk JH, Szmuilowicz E. Evaluating medical procedures: evaluation and transfer to the bedside. In: Pangaro LN, McGaghie WC, editors. Handbook on medical student evaluation and assessment. North Syracuse, NY: Gegansatz Press; 2015. p. 113–26.Google Scholar
- 11.Bandura A. Social learning theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall; 1977.Google Scholar
- 12.Bandura A. Social foundations of thought and action: a social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall; 1986.Google Scholar
- 19.Commonwealth Fund. Commonwealth Fund programs and special initiatives 2017. Retrieved from http://www.commonwealthfund.org/grants-and-fellowships/programs.
- 20.Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Grants and grant programs 2017. Retrieved from http://www.rwjf.org/en/how-we-work/grants-and-grant programs.html.
- 21.National Board of Medical Examiners. Stemmler Fund 2017. Retrieved from http://www.nbme.org/research/stemmler.html.
- 22.National League for Nursing. NLN nursing education research grants 2017. Retrieved from http://www.nln.org/professional-development-programs/grants-and-scholarships/nursing-education.
- 27.BEME Collaboration. Best evidence medical and health professions education 2017. Retrieved from https://www.bemecollaboration.org/Publications+Evidence+Based+Medical+Education/.
- 34.Aiken LH, Sloane D, Griffiths P, Rafferty AM, Bruyneel L, McHugh M, Maier CB, Moreno-Casbos T, Ball JE, Ausserhofer D, Sermeus W, for the RN4CAST Consortium. Nursing skill mix in European hospitals: cross-sectional study of the association with mortality, patient ratings, and quality of care. BMJ Qual Saf. 2017;26:559–68.CrossRefGoogle Scholar