Use of Granite Slurry in Masonry Manufacturing and Wall Construction
The waste powder produced during granite manufacturing has been a source of significant pollution and health hazards. The use of this waste powder in concrete has been studied by several researchers. The current study involves partial replacement of the fine aggregates in the mix of concrete masonry by granite waste powder. The Brazilian split test and the slant test were performed to check the bond with mortar. The mix was used to construct walls subjected to out-of-plane loading and compared to a control group. The initial results indicate that incorporating such waste in walls can be one promising venue for its utilization in the construction industry.
The authors would like to acknowledge the efforts of the teaching assistants, lab engineers and lab technicians in the construction engineering labs at the American University in Cairo for their extensive help and assistance during performing the work.
- Allam, M.E., Bakhoum, E.S.: Re-use of granite sludge in producing green concrete. ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci. 9(12), 2731–2737 (2014)Google Scholar
- Attia, N., Moustafa, O., Abdeldayem, M., Yanni, R., Elsobky, B., Elweleily, O., Darwish, M., Rashwan, M., Abouzeid, M., Fahmy, E.: Use of granite manufacturing waste in concrete masonry production. In: 7th International CSCE Materials Specialty Conference, Fredricton NB Canada, 14–17 June 2018Google Scholar
- Kumara, V.: Experimental study on granite sludge blocks. Int. J. Inform. Futuristic Res. 2(10), 3773–3781 (2015)Google Scholar
- Mehta, J., Pitroda, J.: Effective utilization of granite powder as replacement of marble powder in marble brick, vol. 2, no. 3, May 2016. https://doi.org/10.15438/rr.4.4.22
- Hamza, R.A., El-Haggar, S., Khedr, S.: Marble and granite waste: characterization and utilization in concrete bricks. Int. J. Biosci. Biochem. Bioinform. 1(4), 286–291 (2011)Google Scholar
- Dhanapandian, S., Shanthib, O.M.: Utilization of marble and granite wastes in brick products. J. Ind. Pollut. Control 25(2), 145–150 (2009)Google Scholar
- Standard Test Methods for Sampling and Testing Concrete Masonry Units and Related Units, ASTM C140/C140 M – 17aGoogle Scholar
- Standard Test Methods for Conducting Strength Tests of Masonry Wall Panels, ASTM C1717 – 12Google Scholar
- Standard Test Method for Compressive Strength of Masonry Prisms, ASTM C1314 – 16Google Scholar
- Standard Test Method for Bond Strength of Epoxy-Resin Systems Used With Concrete By Slant Shear, ASTM C882 / C882 M - 13aGoogle Scholar