Post Buckling Behavior of Steel Plate Girder Panels Under Shear Loading
Previously, the shear design of web and transverse stiffeners was based on the initial shear buckling in the web without the tension field action. The American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) adopted post-buckling tension field strength into its specifications for stiffened interior web panels but exclude the post-buckling tension field action for the end web panel. In this study, a finite element method (FEM) analysis on an isolated panel confirms the view that post-buckling strength of steel plate girders is attributed to a non-uniform shear stress distribution along the boundary of the plates, varying from the critical stress in one corner up to the shear-yield stress in the tension corner with no need for any diagonal tension. It was also shown that the presence of flanges with bending strength does rise the shear capacity in the panel. However; light flanges give a slight increase in shear resistance without diagonal tension, but heavy flanges are shown to be capable of developing true diagonal tension, leading to a significant gain in total shear capacity.
KeywordsShear stress Buckling Tension field action
The authors wish to express their gratitude to BAU Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering for their support.
- 5.Marsh, C.: Theoretical model for collapse of shear webs. J. Mech. Eng. ASCE 108(5), 819–832 (1982)Google Scholar
- 6.Basler, K.: Strength of plate girders in shear. ASCE, Proc. No 2967, Part 1, ST 7, pp. 151–180 (1969)Google Scholar
- 8.Marsh, C., Ajam, W.: Post-buckling strength of shear webs without diagonal tension. In: International Conference on Steel & Aluminium Structure, Cardiff, U.K (1987)Google Scholar
- 15.Rockey, K.C., Skaloud, M.: The ultimate load behavior of plate girders loaded in shear. J. Struct. Engr. 50(1), 29–47 (1972)Google Scholar
- 16.Sadao, K.: Ultimate strength of stiffened plate subjected to shear. In: Proceedings of the IABSE Colloquium, London (1971)Google Scholar
- 18.Hoglund, T.: Simply supported long thin plate girders without web stiffeners subjected to distributed transverse load. In: Proceedings of the IABSE Colloquium, London (1971)Google Scholar