Light Field Retrieval via Focus Variation
Light field imaging is a new computational imaging method in recent years, which is a representation of full four-dimensional (4D) radiance of all rays with spatial and angular information in free space. However, most current light field imaging systems are limited by the contradiction between spatial resolution and angular resolution, that is, trading spatial resolution for angular resolution. In this paper, we present a full resolution light field microscopy technique based on 3D intensity transport. The advantage of our method is that it does not sacrifice spatial resolution, and the reconstructed light field is of full resolution, comparable to that of the image sensor itself. First, a non-linear iterative reconstruction algorithm is proposed to reconstruct the full resolution light field from the 3D intensity stack which is captured by axial scanning. Then, we investigate the key factors that influence the quality of the reconstructed 4D light field, which is proved to be related to the number of reconstructed viewing angles and the number of captured images of each stack. Finally, experiments are carried out with real 3D samples, and the above methods are tested and evaluated with simple two-layer samples and complex multi-layer samples as Cyclops and Drosophila. The reliability and accuracy of our method are verified by simulation and experimental results.
KeywordsLight field microscopy imaging Three-dimensional intensity transport Nonlinear optimization
- 1.Lippmann, G.: Reversible prints integral photographs. Acad. Sci. 7, 821–825 (1908)Google Scholar
- 3.Levoy, M., Hanrahan, P.: Light field rendering. In: Proceedings of SIGGRAPH. ACM Press, New York, pp. 31–42 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Ng, R., Levoy, M., Bredif, M.: Light field photography with a hand-held plenoptic camera. Technical Report CSTR. Stanford Computer Science Tech Report CSTR (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Georgiev, T., Intwala, C., Goma, S.: Light field camera design for integral view photography. Adobe Technical Report (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Liang, C.K., Liu, G., Chen, H.: Light field acquisition using programmable aperture camera. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing. IEEE Press, Washington DC, vol. 5, pp. 233–236 (2007)Google Scholar