Critical Analysis of Internet of Things Application Development Platforms
The world is tending towards automation and there is relentless competition in the global market. Internet of Things (IoT) and Android OS have become buzzwords due to their vast technological diaspora and rich spectrum of sophisticated features. In future, mobile platforms will go on to play an important role in the IoT environment, particularly where the data needs to be gathered around moving sensors or human resources where as fixed systems can be better served by low-cost and dedicated sensors. In order to fuel such software-led innovations, various companies like Google and Microsoft Inc. have come forth with different operating systems such as Android Things and Windows 10 IoT Core. In this paper, we aim at presenting Android Things as a developing environment for IoT applications. We also compare Android Things with Windows 10 IoT Core and juxtapose their features, performances and constraints.
KeywordsArduino Embedded systems IoT development boards Raspbian OS Node MCU Banana Pi Windows
General TermsAndroid Android Things Internet of Things Raspberry Pi Windows 10 IoT Core
The study was funded by Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Patil, M.B., Joshi, R.K., Chopade, N.: Comparative study of android and windows operating systemGoogle Scholar
- 2.Goyal, V., Bhatheja, A., Ahuja, D.: Survey paper on android vs. IosGoogle Scholar
- 3.Mandula, K., et al.: Mobile based home automation using Internet of Things (IoT). In: 2015 International Conference on Control, Instrumentation, Communication and Computational Technologies (ICCICCT). IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Banana Pi Specification. http://www.lemaker.org/product-bananapi-specification.html
- 5.Banana Raspberry Pi. http://www.myassignmenthelp.net/banana-raspberry-pi
- 6.Beagle Board. https://beagleboard.org/
- 7.Comparing Beaglebone Black and Raspberry Pi. https://www.dummies.com/computers/beaglebone/comparing-beaglebone-black-and-raspberry-pi/
- 8.Google Android Things. https://developer.android.com/things/get-started/