Facial Recognition Adaptation as Biometric Authentication for Intelligent Door Locking System
As field of technology grows, security issues have gained high concern nowadays. Unfortunately, a good access authentication is high in price which had become less affordable. To overcome this scenario, Intelligent Door Locking System is proposed. This system can be divided into 3 parts, which are mobile application, server with web application and microcontroller. The mobile application will be the one in charge of having face recognition process. The face recognition will be carried out using Eigenfaces Algorithm. Users can lock the door using “Normal Lock” mode or “Secure Lock” mode. To unlock the “Normal Lock” mode, user just need to press on unlock button, while to unlock “Se- cure Lock” mode, user would need to pass biometric authentication and passcode authentication process. Once user successfully identified by the mobile application, data will be sent to microcontroller via Bluetooth. At the same time, the microcontroller will retrieve data from server database and check whether the user is having access to enter the room. If yes, the microcontroller will unlock the door. While for the server, it can be easily managed by administration using web application. Users can check their door lock condition from far distance through web application as well. They can lock the door if they realize the door is not locked wherever they are. This bring convenience to the user.
KeywordsSecurity Intelligent locking system Face recognition Eigenfaces and smart lock
This research is funded under USM RU Grant (PKOMP/8014001) and partly under USM Short Term Grant (PKOMP/6315262) and affiliated with Robotics, Computer Vision & Image Processing (RCVIP) Research Group Lab at School of Computer Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- 1.Soyata, T., Muraleedharan, R., Funai, C., Kwon, M., Heinzelman, W.: Cloud-vision: real-time face recognition using a mobile-cloudlet-cloud acceleration architecture. In: 2012 IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), Cappadocia, pp. 59–66 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Januzaj, Y., Luma, A., Januzaj, Y., Ramaj, V.: Real time access control based on face recognition. In: 2015 International Conference on Network security & Computer Science, Antalya, Turkey, pp. 7–12 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Mesni, B.: Authentication in door access control systems. In: Clerk Maxwell, J. (ed.) A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, 3rd edn., vol. 2, pp. 68–73. Clarendon, Oxford (2013). http://kintronics.blogspot.my/2013/04/authentication-in-door-access-control.html
- 5.Joseph, J., Zacharia, K.P.: Automatic attendance management system using face recognition. Int. J. Sci. Res. (IJSR) 2(11), 327–330 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Turk, M.A., Pentland, A.P.: Face recognition using eigenfaces. In: Proceedings 1991 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 586–591 (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Chintalapati, S., Raghunadh, M.V.: Automated attendance management system based on face recognition algorithms. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research, Enathi, pp. 1–5 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Dave, G., Chao, X., Sriadibhatla, K.: Face recognition in mobile phones. Department of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, USA, pp. 1–7. https://stacks.stanford.edu/file/druid:rz261ds9725/Sriadibhatla_Davo_Chao_FaceRecognition.pdf
- 9.Saini, R., Saini, A., Agarwal, D.: Analysis of different face recognition algorithms. Int. J. Eng. Res. Technol. 3(11), 1263–1267 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Pabbaraju, A., Puchakayala, S.: Face recognition in mobile devices. Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, pp. 1–9 (2010). https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/cc20/0b665f6c446747a48d01e89f6b1e7d7781d4.pdf
- 11.Mohamed, A.S.A.: Face recognition using eigenfaces. In: MRG International Conference 2006, Salford University, Manchester, United Kingdom, Poster Presentation (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Karande, K.J., Talbar, S.N.: Simplified and modified approach for face recognition using PCA. IET-UK International Conference on Information and Communication Technology in Electrical Sciences (ICTES 2007), pp. 523–526. Dr. M.G.R. University, Chennai (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Pissarenko, D.: Eigenface-based facial recognition (2003). http://openbio.sourceforge.net/resources/eigenfaces/eigenfaces-html/facesOptions.html