Priority Queue Scheduling Approach for Resource Allocation in Containerized Clouds
Finding the appropriate resources and allocating them for executing software applications in cloud environments is very challenging because of its dynamic nature. Cloud service and resource providers do not render any performance assurance. Bare Metals, Virtual Machines and containers are being statically assigned to users’ workloads. This leads to a lot of resource wastage. The dynamic allocation of resources is sorely missing in the current and conventional cloud centers. This paper tackles the problem of static resource allocation inside a cloud center for running heterogeneous applications in a high-performance manner. This specifically focuses on how to accurately identify the various resources such as the memory (RAM), the number of cores, the amount of storage, the input/output requirements, etc. and dynamically allocate the identified resources to execute the different tasks of workloads to ensure the mandated performance requirements. In this work, we have focused a priority queue scheduling (PQS) algorithm in cloud environment and fair share policies are defined at each queue to deal with the dynamic priority of the requests submitted by users. According to the dynamic priority of user requests, they are scheduled at two levels on the basis of their resource accessibility. The proposed scheduling algorithm hosts the containers on cloud nodes to utilize the resources in a well-organized manner and the performance is evaluated and compared with the conventional scheduling methods.
KeywordsCloud computing Resource allocation Scheduling Docker Containers
- 4.Zhang, R., Li, M., Hildebrand, D.: Finding the big data sweet spot: towards automatically recommending configurations for hadoop clusters on docker containers. In: IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Rosenblum, M., Garfinkel, T.: Virtual machine monitors, current technology and future trends. IEEE Trans. Comput. 38(5), 39–47 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Morabito, R.: Virtualization on internet of things edge devices with container technologies: a performance evaluation. IEEE Trans. Content Min. 5, 8835–8850 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Madhumathi, R., Radhakrishnan, R.: Priority queue scheduling approach for resource allocation in cloud. Asian J. Inf. Technol. 15(3), 472–480 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Piraghaj, S.F., Dastjerdi, A.V., Calheiros, R.N., Buyya, R.: ContainerCloudSim: an environment for modeling and simulation of containers in cloud data centers. Softw.: Pract. Exp. 47, 205–521 (2017)Google Scholar