A Survey on Quality of Service Metrics Using Cross Layer Optimization Technique
Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) is group of sensor nodes connected in a network to monitor the physical situations and collect the information to communicate to sink node. The low-cost feature of WSN is a significant advantage over the conventional networks. The successful implementation of WSN requires to adapt a strict QoS metrics. Each application demands a specific QoS such as throughput, latency, reliability bandwidth etc. The cross-layer algorithm optimizes the overall performance. The efficient design of routing algorithm and cross layer optimization technique improves the performance of WSNs. This paper depicts the comparison of various optimization techniques on WSNs with their strengths and limitations. The cross-layer optimization techniques of previously proposed methods highlighting its merits and demerits to develop optimized cross layer technique.
KeywordsCross layer Energy consumption Latency QoS Reliability Scalability Throughput WSN
This research was partially supported by AMC Engineering College, Bangalore. I thank my guide and colleagues from AMC Engineering College who provided insight and expertise that greatly assisted the research, although they may not agree with all the interpretations of this paper.
- 1.Lahane, S.R., Jariwala, K.N.: Cross layer design approach for routing optimization in wireless sensor network. Int. J. Adv. Comput. Eng. Netw. 6(3), 41–48 (2018)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, Y., Gao, H., Cheng, S., Li, J.: An efficient EH-WSN energy management mechanism. TUP J. Mag. 23(4), 406–418 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Yang, X., Wang, L., Xie, J.: Energy efficient cross-layer transmission model for mobile wireless sensor networks. Hindawi Mob. Inf. Syst. 1346416 (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Lin, K.Y., Wang, P.C., Hong, T.P.: A greedy algorithm in wsns for maximum network lifetime and communication reliability. In: 2015 IEEE 12th International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, pp. 87–92. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 19.Babulal, K.S., Tewari, R.R.: Cross layer design with link and reliability analysis for wireless sensor network. In: 2011 Nirma University International Conference on Engineering, pp. 1–5. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 23.Cho, J.J., Ding, Y., Chen, Y., Tang, J.: Robust calibration for localization in clustered wireless sensor networks. IEEE Trans. Autom. Sci. Eng. 7(1), 81–95 (2009)Google Scholar