Multilevel Converter for Renewable Energy System
Multilevel converters are very much involved in application which is high as well as medium voltage applications. They are utilised to inject voltages into grid, which is considered as an example of infinite voltage application, where the reliability of converters plays a significant role. More the level of multilevel converter has, more the chances of sinusoidal output voltages. Hybrid topologies of MLIs, which are capable of handling switching stresses, utilisation of DC sources, capacitor balancing and capacitor current ripple and losses are discussed. In order to maintain the reliable network, auxiliary switches are used. These are usually comprised of diodes, bridges or bi-directional switches. This paper also focuses on the full utilisation of DC link capacitor for multilevel inverter and few new topologies along with its mode of operations.
KeywordsMultilevel converter DC link capacitor Auxillary switch DC sources Active bus voltage utilization Advanced multilevel inverter topologies
- 5.Barbosa, P., Steimer, P., Steinke, J., Meysenc, L., Winkelnkemper, M., Celanovic, N.: Active neutral-point-clamped multilevel converters. In: IEEE 36th power electronics specia- lists Conference PESC 2005, pp. 2296–301 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Sivakumar, K.: A fault-tolerant single-phase five-level inverter for grid-independent PV systems. In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 7569–7577, December 2015Google Scholar
- 9.Siwakoti, Y.P., Mahajan, A., Liese, S.: Active utilization of a full DC-link voltage in multilevel converter. In: 2018 IEEE International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC), Turin, pp. 1–5 (2018)Google Scholar
- 12.Choi, J., Kang, F.: Seven-Level PWM inverter employing series-connected capacitors paralleled to a single DC voltage source. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 62(6), 3448–3459 (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.Sathik, M.J., Bhatnagar, K., Sandeep, N., Blaabjerg, F.: An improved seven-level PUC inverter topology with voltage boosting. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. II Express Briefs (2019)Google Scholar