Informing Refugee Communities in Greece: What Is Possible Within the Parameters of the Humanitarian Structure?
- 4 Downloads
The “humanitarian government” has been critiqued for seeking not only to protect but simultaneously control communities affected by humanitarian crisis. This chapter examines the capacity of humanitarian information projects to meet the information needs of refugees within the constraints of the humanitarian structure. It is informed by the author’s experience working for a media initiative that sought to provide “news-you-can-use” to refugees and migrants during the height of the so-called European Union Refugee Crisis, when thousands of refugees and migrants arrived on Greek shores each day. Stories from Greece demonstrate the range of political, structural and ethical concerns that influenced decisions about what information was provided or withheld. The chapter concludes that there is a need for further research to explore the use of protection logics as a justification for concealing information from affected communities in situations of humanitarian crisis.
- Agier, M. (2011). Managing the undesirables. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Gillespie, M., Ampofo, L., Cheesman, M., Faith, B., Iliadou, E., Issa, A., …, Skleparis, D. (2016). Mapping refugee media journeys: Smartphones and social media networks. Research report. The Open University/France Médias Monde. Retrieved January 7, 2019, from http://www.open.ac.uk/ccig/research/projects/mapping-refugee-media-journeys.
- Robinson, L. (2004). Communication patterns in refugee camps. Paper presented at the annual International Studies Association conference, Montreal, Canada. Retrieved from http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p74173_index.html.
- Saltsman, A. (2010). Rumour versus information. Forced Migration Review, 36, 57–58.Google Scholar
- Saltsman, A. (2011). Displaced Iraqis in Jordan: Formal and informal information flows, and migratory decisions in a context of uncertainty. Refuge, 28(1), 81–96.Google Scholar
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. (1999). Protecting refugees: A field guide for NGOs. Retrieved January 7, 2019, from http://www.unhcr.org/3bb9794e4.pdf.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. (2006a). Operational protection in camps and settlements: A reference guide of good practices in the protection of refugees and other persons of concern. Retrieved January 7, 2019, from http://www.unhcr.org/448d6c122.html.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. (2006b). Practical guide to the systematic use of standards and indicators in UNHCR operations. Retrieved January 7, 2019, from http://www.unhcr.org/40eaa9804.pdf.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. (2011). UNHCR resettlement handbook (Rev. ed.). Retrieved January 7, 2019, from http://www.unhcr.org/46f7c0ee2.html.
- Williams, G. (2006). Profits before product? In B. Franklin (Ed.), Local journalism and local media: Making the local news (pp. 83–92). London: Routledge.Google Scholar