- 11 Downloads
Conducting a needs assessment of your learner is a critical step in curriculum development for effective mobile simulation programs. A general needs assessment must be conducted to identify the healthcare problem at hand and the relevant performance and practice gaps. Methods of needs assessments range from literature search, interviews, focus groups, and surveys to audits, tests, direct observations, and utilization of the Delphi process. A well-conducted needs assessment will guide the design of simulation curricula and will ensure that the mobile simulation program is in line with trainee, institutional, and societal needs.
KeywordsNeeds assessment Mobile simulation Simulation training Simulation-based education Curriculum development Medical education Nursing education Delphi technique Behavioral gaps
- 1.Fox RD, Bennett NL. Learning and change: implications for continuing medical education. [Internet] 1998 [cited 09/04/2018];316(7129): 466–8. Available from: https://www.bmj.com/content/316/7129/466.
- 2.Thomas PA, Kern DE, Hughes MT, Chen BY, editors. Curriculum development for medical education: a six-step approach. 2nd ed. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press; 2016.Google Scholar
- 3.Dussault G, Buchan J, Sermeus W, Padaiga Z. Assessing future health workforce needs. s.l.: WHO Regional Office for Europe. [Internet] 2010 [cited2013 Mar 21]. Available from: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/124417/e94295.pdf.
- 4.Nether K. Joint Commission blogs [Internet]. Washington, D.C.: Klaus Nether. 2018 [cited 2018 08/23]. Available from: https://www.jointcommission.org/high_reliability_healthcare/?Year=2018&Month=5.
- 5.Deering S, Rosen M, Salas E, King H. Building team and technical competency for obstetric emergencies: the mobile obstetric emergencies simulator (MOES) system. J Soc Simul Healthc. [Internet] 2009 [cited 2018 Aug 21];4(3):166–173. https://doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0b013e31819aaf2a. PMID: 19680084. Available from: https://insights.ovid.com/pubmed?pmid=19680084.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Grant J. Learning needs assessment: assessing the need. BMJ. [Internet] 2002 [cited 2018 08/20;324(7330):156–159. PMCID: PMC64520. PMID: 11799035. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC64520/.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.United States Agency for International Development (USAID). A rapid needs assessment guide: for education in countries affected by crisis and conflict. [Internet] 2014 [cited 2018 Mar 08]. North Bethesda: JBS International. Available from: https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2155/USAID%20RNAG%20FINAL.pdf.
- 8.Bell BP, Damon IK, Jernigan DB, Kenyon TA, Nichol ST, O’Connor JP, Tappero JW. Overview, control strategies, and lessons learned in the CDC response to the 2014–2016 Ebola epidemic. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2018 09/04];(Suppl);65(3):4–11. https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.su6503a2. Available from https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/su/su6503a2.htm#suggestedcitation.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Nayahangan LJ, Stefanidis D, Kern DE, Konge L. How to identify and prioritize procedures suitable for simulation-based training: experiences from general needs assessments using a modified Delphi method and a needs assessment formula. Med Teach. [Internet] 2018 [cited 2018 08/24];40(7):676–683. https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2018.1472756. Available from: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0142159X.2018.1472756.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Khouli H, Jahnes K, Shapiro J, Rose K, Mathew J, Gohil A, Han Q, Sotelo A, Jones J, Aqeel A, Eden E, Fried E. Performance of medical residents in sterile techniques during central vein catheterization: randomized trial of efficacy of simulation-based training. Chest. 2011;139:80–7. Available from: http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/content/139/1/80.full.html.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Asher A, Deards K, Esteva M, Halbert M, Jahnke L, Jordan C, et al. Research data management principles, practices, and prospects. [Internet] 2013 [cited 2018/29]. Available from: https://www.clir.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/pub160.pdf.
- Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL). The MoTIF project needs assessment report. 2014 [cited 2018 Sep 03]. Available from: https://www.adlnet.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MOTIF-NEEDS-ASSESSMENT.pdf.
- Comprehensive Needs Assessment New Directors Orientation. Office of Migrant Education. 2001 [Archived on the Internet]. 2001 [cited 2018 08/20]:1–25. Available from: https://www2.ed.gov/admins/lead/account/compneedsassessment.pdf.
- Davis DA, Mazmanian PE, Fordis M, Van Harrison R, Thorpe KE, Perrier L. Accuracy of physician self-assessment compared with observed measures of competence: a systematic review. JAMA [Internet].2006 [cited 2018 Sep 03];296(9):1094–102. Available from: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/203258.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ennen CS. Reducing adverse obstetrical outcomes through safety sciences. Lockwood CJ, Eckler K, editors. UpToDate. [Internet] 2017 [cited 2018 08/24]. Available from https://www.uptodate.com/contents/reducing-adverse-obstetrical-outcomes-through-safety-sciences?sectionName=Shoulder%20dystocia&topicRef=5397&anchor=H8&source=see_link%20-%20H8.
- Harris CE, Green VL. Shoulder dystocia. In: Sandbar SS, Firestone MH, Wecht CH, Birbaum G, Gic JA, Harris CE, editors. The medical malpractice survival handbook. [Internet] [cited 2018 08/24]. Philadelphia: Mosby; 2007. p. 341–351. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-032304438-7.50034-6. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780323044387500346.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- INACSL. INACSL standards of best practice: simulation design. Clin Simul Nurs. [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2018 Sep 03];(12 Suppl):S5–S12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.09.012. Available from: https://www.nursingsimulation.org/article/S1876-1399%2816%2930126-8/fulltext.
- Nestel D, Watson MO, Bearman ML, Morrison T, Pritchard SA, Andreatta PB. Strategic approaches to simulation-based education: a case study from Australia. J Health Spec [serial online]. 2013 [cited 2018 Aug 23];1:4–12. Available from: http://www.thejhs.org/text.asp?2013/1/1/4/110666.
- Pilcher J. Learning needs assessment not only for continuing education. J Nurses Prof Dev [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2018 09/03];32(4):185–191:185Y199. Available from https://nursing.ceconnection.com/ovidfiles/01709760-201607000-00003.pdf.
- Ramos GA, Moore TR. Birth injury endocrine disorders in pregnancy. In: Gleason CA, Devaskar SU, editors. Avery’s Diseases of the Newborn. 9th ed. [Internet] [cited 2018 08/24]. PA: Elsevier-Saunders; 2012. p. 75–91. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-1-4377-0134-0.10009-5. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9781437701340100095?via%3Dihub. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rodis JF. Shoulder dystocia: intrapartum diagnosis, management, and outcome. Lockwood CJ, Barss, VA, editors. UpToDate. [Internet] 2018 [cited 2018 08/24]. Available from: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/shoulder-dystocia-intrapartum-diagnosis-management-and-outcome.
- Sarti AJ, Sutherland S, Robillard N, Kim J, Dupuis K, Thornton M, Mansour M, Cardinal P. Ebola preparedness: a rapid needs assessment of critical care in a tertiary hospital. CMAJ Open. [Internet] 2015. [cited 2018 Sep 03]. 3(2):E198–207. Available from: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/124417/e94295.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Silva MCS, Rodrigues JJPC, dela Torre Diez I, Lopez-Coronado M, Saleem K. Mobil health: a review of current state in 2015. J Biomed Inform. [Internet] 2015 [cited 2018 08/20];56:265–272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2015.06.003. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1532046415001136?via%3Dihub.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare. Healthcare simulation dictionary. Lopreiato JO, editor. Agency for healthcare research and quality. 1st ed. [Internet] 2016 [cited 09/04]. Rockville. 16(17):0043. Available from: https://www.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patient-safety-resources/research/simulation_dictionary/sim-dictionary.pdf.