Exploiting Online Newspaper Articles Metadata for Profiling City Areas
News websites are among the most popular sources from which internet users read news articles. Such articles are often freely available and updated very frequently. Apart from the description of the specific news, these articles often contain metadata that can be automatically extracted and analyzed using data mining and machine learning techniques. In this work, we discuss how online news articles can be integrated as a further source of information in a framework for profiling city areas. We present some preliminary results considering online news articles related to the city of Rome. We characterize the different areas of Rome in terms of criminality, events, services, urban problems, decay and accidents. Profiles are identified using the k-means clustering algorithm. In order to offer better services to citizens and visitors, the profiles of the city areas may be a useful support for the decision making process of local administrations.
KeywordsInformation retrieval Smart cities Data mining Machine learning
- 1.Abdullah, M.S., Zainal, A., Maarof, M.A., Kassim, M.N.: Cyber-attack features for detecting cyber threat incidents from online news. In: 2018 Cyber Resilience Conference, pp. 1–4. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 2.D’Andrea, E., Ducange, P., Loffreno, D., Marcelloni, F., Zaccone, T.: Smart profiling of city areas based on web data. In: 2018 IEEE International Conference on Smart Computing, pp. 226–233. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Lin, A.Y., Ford, J., Adar, E., Hecht, B.: VizByWiki: mining data visualizations from the web to enrich news articles. In: Proceedings of the 2018 World Wide Web Conference on World Wide Web, pp. 873–882. International World Wide Web Conference Committee (2018)Google Scholar
- 8.Po, L., Rollo, F.: Building an urban theft map by analyzing newspaper crime reports. In: 2018 13th International Workshop on Semantic and Social Media Adaptation and Personalization, pp. 13–18. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 11.Teske, A., Falcon, R., Abielmona, R., Petriu, E.: Automatic identification of maritime incidents from unstructured articles. In: 2018 IEEE Conference on Cognitive and Computational Aspects of Situation Management, pp. 42–48. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar