Neural Controller of UAVs with Inertia Variations
Floating offshore wind turbines (FOWT) are exposed to hard environmental conditions which could impose expensive maintenance operations. These costs could be alleviated by monitoring these floating devices using UAVs. Given the FOWT location, UAVs are currently the only way to do this health monitoring. But this means that UAV should be well equipped and must be accurately controlled. Rotational inertia variation is a common disturbance that affect the aerial vehicles during these inspection tasks. To address this issue, in this work we propose a new neural controller based on adaptive neuro estimators. The approach is based on the hybridization of feedback linearization, PIDs and artificial neural networks. Online learning is used to help the network to improve the estimations while the system is working. The proposal is tested by simulation with several complex trajectories when the rotational inertia is multiplied by 10. Results show the proposed UAV neural controller gets a good tracking and the neuro estimators tackle the effect of the variations of the rotational inertia.
KeywordsInertia variations Neuro-estimator UAV Neural networks FOWT
This work was partially supported by the Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities under Project number RTI2018-094902-B-C21.
- 1.Schäfer, B.E., Picchi, D., Engelhardt, T., Abel, D.: Multicopter unmanned aerial vehicle for automated inspection of wind turbines. In: 2016 24th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), pp. 244–249. IEEE, June 2016Google Scholar
- 3.San Juan, V., Santos, M., Andújar, J.M.: Intelligent UAV map generation and discrete path planning for search and rescue operations. Complexity (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Santos, M., Lopez, V., Morata, F.: Intelligent fuzzy controller of a quadrotor. In: 2010 International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Knowledge Engineering (ISKE), pp. 141–146). IEEE, November 2010Google Scholar
- 5.Yanez-Badillo, H., Tapia-Olvera, R., Aguilar-Mejia, O., Beltran-Carbajal, F.: On line adaptive neurocontroller for regulating angular position and trajectory of quadrotor system. Revista Iberoamericana de Automática e Informática Industrial, 14(2), 141–151 (2017). ISSN: 1697–7912, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.riai.2017.01.001CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Min, B.-C., Hong, J.-H., Matson, E.T.: Adaptive robust control (ARC) for an altitude control of a quadrotor type UAV carrying an unknown payloads. In: 2011 11th International conference on control, automation and systems Korea, pp. 26–29 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, C., Nahon, M., Trentini, M., Nahon, M., Trentini, M.: Controller development and validation for a small quadrotor with compensation for model variation. In: 2014 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS). IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Nicol, C., Macnab, C.J.B., Ramirez-Serrano, A.: Robust neural network control of a quadrotor helicopter. In: 2008 Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, pp. 001233–001238. IEEE, May 2008Google Scholar
- 10.Serway, R.A., Jewett, J.W.: Physics for scientists and engineers with modern physics. Cengage learning (2018)Google Scholar