Detection of Cirrhosis Through Ultrasound Imaging
Cirrhosis is a liver disease that is considered to be among the most common diseases in healthcare. Due to its non-invasive nature, Ultrasound (US) imaging is a widely accepted technology for the diagnosis of this disease. This research work proposed a method for discriminating the cirrhotic liver from normal liver through US images. The liver US images were obtained from the radiologist. The radiologist also specified the Region of Interest (ROI) from these images and then the proposed method was applied on it. Two parameters were extracted from the US images through differences in intensity of neighboring pixels. Then these parameters can be used to train a classifier by which cirrhotic region of test patient can be detected. A 2-D array was created by difference in intensity of the neighboring pixels. From this array, two parameters were calculated. The decision was taken by checking these parameters. The validation of the proposed tool was done on 80 images of cirrhotic and 30 images of normal liver and classification accuracy of 98.18% was achieved. The result was also verified by the radiologist. The results verified its possibility and applicability for high performance cirrhotic liver discrimination.
KeywordsCirrhotic liver Ultrasound image Intensity difference Support vector machine Region of interest
- 1.Virmani, J., Kumar, V., Kalra, N.: Prediction of cirrhosis based on singular value decomposition of gray level co-occurence matrix and a neural network classifier. In: Proceeding IEEE Conference Developments in E-systems Engineering, pp. 146–151 (2011)Google Scholar
- 19.Gulo, C.A.S.J., De Arruda, H.F., De Araujo, A.F.: Efficient parallelization on GPU of an image smoothing method based on a variational model. J. Real Time Image Process. 16, 1–13 (2016)Google Scholar
- 23.Ribeiro, R., Sanches, J.: Fatty liver characterization and classification by ultrasound. In: Pattern Recognition Image Analysis. LNCS, vol. 5524, 354–361 (2009)Google Scholar
- 32.Kyriacou, E., Pavlopoulos, S., Konnis, G.: Computer assisted characterization of diffused liver disease using image texture analysis techniques on B-scan images. In: IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium, vol. 2, pp. 1479–1483 (1997)Google Scholar
- 35.Jiuqing, W., Sirui, Z.: Features extraction based on wavelet packet transform for B-mode ultrasound liver images. In: 3rd International Congress on Image and Signal Processing, vol. 2, pp. 949–955 (2010)Google Scholar