Recommendations and Conclusions
Twenty-five years ago, anthropologist Leonard Plotnicov proposed that medium-sized cities in Mexico, because of their pleasant climate, charming historic buildings, relative peacefulness, recreational opportunities, and low cost of living, could improve their economies by becoming retirement destinations for older persons from the United States and Canada (Plotnicov 1994). Since then, retirement has become a multi-trillion-dollar industry (McGrath 2018), and retiree-related spending has become an increasingly large component of the economies of many countries, including the United States (Levanon et al. 2018). As we noted in Chap. 1, the actual size of international migration is difficult to judge, but at minimum is in the millions. Still, as of now, Plotnicov’s vision is but a partial reality, as immigrant retirees are a minor economic force in Latin America and only in a modest number of its communities.
- AARP. (2011). About continuing care retirement communities. https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/basics/info-2017/continuing-care-retirement-communities.html. Accessed 29 July 2019.
- Aveleyra, A. (2017, October). San Miguel de Allende, Point of No Return. Lokkal Magazine San Miguel de Allende. https://www.lokkal.com/sma/magazine/2017/october/alberto.php. Accessed 29 July 2019.
- Bringas Rábago, N. L. (1999). Politicas de desarrollo turístico en do zonas del pacifico mexicano. Región y Sociedad, 11(17), 3–51.Google Scholar
- Levanon, G., Anderson, B., Cheng, B., & Steemers, F. (2018). The impact of demographic trends on US Consumer Spending. New York: The Conference Board.Google Scholar
- McGrath, C. (2018, June 21). U.S. retirement assets at $28 trillion in Q1, little changed from end of 2017. Pensions & Investments. https://www.pionline.com/article/20180621/INTERACTIVE/180629958/u-s-retirement-assets-at-28-trillion-in-q1-little-changed-from-end-of-2017. Accessed 29 July 2019.
- Peddicord, K. (2016, February 10). The pros and cons of retiring in a tourist town. US News Money. https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/articles/2016-02-10/the-pros-and-cons-of-retiring-in-a-tourist-town