Towards Quantifying Neurovascular Resilience
Whilst grading neurovascular abnormalities is critical for prompt surgical repair, no statistical markers are currently available for predicting the risk of adverse events, such as stroke, and the overall resilience of a network to vascular complications. The lack of compact, fast, and scalable simulations with network perturbations impedes the analysis of the vascular resilience to life-threatening conditions, surgical interventions and long-term follow-up. We introduce a graph-based approach for efficient simulations, which statistically estimates biomarkers from a series of perturbations on the patient-specific vascular network. Analog-equivalent circuits are derived from clinical angiographies. Vascular graphs embed mechanical attributes modelling the impedance of a tubular structure with stenosis, tortuosity and complete occlusions. We evaluate pressure and flow distributions, simulating healthy topologies and abnormal variants with perturbations in key pathological scenarios. These describe the intrinsic network resilience to pathology, and delineate the underlying cerebrovascular autoregulation mechanisms. Lastly, a putative graph sampling strategy is devised on the same formulation, to support the topological inference of uncertain neurovascular graphs.
- 1.Antiga, L., Steinman, D.: The vascular modeling toolkit (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Aylward, S., et al.: TubeTK, Segmentation, Registration, and Analysis of Tubular Structures in Images. Kitware Inc., New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Cebral, J.R., et al.: Characterization of cerebral aneurysms for assessing risk of rupture by using patient-specific computational hemodynamics models. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 26(1), 2550–2559 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Mathers, C., et al.: The global burden of disease: 2004 Update. World Health Organization (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Moriconi, S., et al.: Inference of cerebrovascular topology with geodesic minimum spanning trees. IEEE TMI 38(1), 225–239 (2018)Google Scholar
- 15.Vitturi, M.D.: Navier-stokes equations in cylindrical coordinates (2016)Google Scholar