Sudden Death: An Organ and Tissue Retrieval Practitioner Perspective
- 23 Downloads
The organ donation and transplant system has historically experienced a shortage in available organs. Recent legislative change has enhanced donation rates. This chapter considers donation and transplant statistics, offers guidance to practitioners involved in the organ donation process and explains the role and experiences of an experienced Senior Nurse-Organ Donation when in communication with the donation team and relatives of the deceased.
- Department of Health. Organs for Transplants: A Report from the Organ Donation Taskforce. London. 2008. https://nhsbtdbe.blob.core.windows.net/umbraco-assets-corp/4245/organsfortransplantstheorgandonortaskforce1streport.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2019.
- NHS Blood and Transplant. Taking Organ Donation to 2020 A National Strategy Taking Organ Donation to 2020. 2013. https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/tot2020/. Accessed 12 May 2019.
- NHS Blood and Transplant. Best practice guidance: approaching the families of potential organ donors. London: NHSBT; 2015.Google Scholar
- NHS Blood and Transplant. ODT Performance Report End of year—2017/18. 2018a. https://nhsbtdbe.blob.core.windows.net/umbraco-assets-corp/10358/odt-smt-monthly-performance-report-march-2018.pdf/. Accessed 12 May 2019.
- NHS Blood and Transplant. Organ Donation and Transplantation Activity Report 2017/18. 2018b. https://nhsbtdbe.blob.core.windows.net/umbraco-assets-corp/12065/transplant-activity-report-2017-2018.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2019.
- NHS Blood and Transplant. Consent and authorisation: Clinical guidance around gaining consent and authorisation from a donor family. 2019. https://www.odt.nhs.uk/deceased-donation/best-practice-guidance/consent-and-authorisation/. Accessed 7 July 2019.
- NHS Blood and Transplant. Best practice guidance: Donation after brainstem death. 2019a. https://www.odt.nhs.uk/deceased-donation/best-practice-guidance/donation-after-brainstem-death//. Accessed 12 May 2019.
- NHS Blood and Transplant. Best practice guidance: Donation after circulatory death. 2019b. https://www.odt.nhs.uk/deceased-donation/best-practice-guidance/donation-after-circulatory-death/. Accessed 12 May 2019.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. updated in 2016. Clinical Guideline CG135: Organ donation for transplantation: improving donor identification and consent rates for deceased organ donation. 2011. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG135. Accessed 7 July 2019.
- Office of National Statistics. Deaths registered in England and Wales: 2017. 2018. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/201777. Accessed 12 May 2019.
- Welsh Assembly. Human Transplantation (Wales) Act 2013. 2013. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/anaw/2013/5/contents/enacted. Accessed 12 May 2019.
- General Medical Council. Treatment and care towards the end of life: good practice in decision making. 2010. https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guidance/ethical-guidance-for-doctors/treatment-and-care-towards-the-end-of-life. Accessed 12 May 2019.