Blockchain Technology, Sustainability and Business: A Literature Review and the Case of Dubai and UAE
- 13 Downloads
The importance of innovation across all sectors is emphasized by the UAE leadership (United Arab Emirates, UAE Vision 2021). The UAE National Innovation Strategy (NIS) aims to take innovation to new heights by creating an innovation enabling environment, innovation champions, and priority sectors (United Arab Emirates, 2015). Among these priorities are technology and sustainability. UAE has encouraged numerous technology activities, mainly The Smart Government and The Smart City initiatives. Within this broader innovation and smart city framework, the Dubai blockchain Strategy was recently launched. The purpose of this paper is to elaborate on the UAE framework and identify business areas that blockchain can have a significant impact. UAE, and Dubai in particular, has been global markets and finance hub. In this paper, we examine the potential applications of blockchain technology in UAE’s finance industry, exchanges, and marketing. We also discuss the role of blockchain technologies for sustainability. Blockchain is identified as one of the most important emerging technologies (Mulligan et al. in World economic forum: Blockchain beyond the hype—A practical framework for business leaders, 2018). We conclude that UAE and Dubai have rightly identified and promoted blockchain technologies and more strategic investment would be beneficial.
KeywordsBlockchain Finance Marketing UAE Innovation Sustainability
We would like to thank Professor Tatiana Zalan for the discussion of the paper and useful comments.
- Amro, Z. A. (2016, November 9). Newsweek middle east business outlook: Will “share economy” be disrupted by blockchain technology? Updated: 9th November 2016. Retrieved July 24, 2017, from http://newsweekme.com/business-outlook-will-shareeconomy-disrupted-blockchain-technology/.
- Bank of International Settlements. (2017). Distributed ledger technology, clearing and settlement-An analytical framework, BIS.Google Scholar
- Beck, R., Stenum Czepluch, J., Lollike, N., & Malone, S. (2016). Blockchain—The gateway to trust free cryptographic transactions. In Twenty-Fourth European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) (pp 1–14).Google Scholar
- Crosby, M., Nachiappan, Pattanayak, P., Verma, S., & Kalyanaraman, V. (2016). Blockchain technology: Beyond bitcoin, Berkeley engineering. AIR, 2. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://j2-capital.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/AIR-2016-Blockchain.pdf.
- Diar. (2018). Cryptocurrency exchanges move at different speeds, Venture capital firms go deep and wide with blockchain investments, Cryptocurrency operations manoeuvre to launch “blockchain banks”, 2(39). Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://diar.co/volume-2-issue-39/.
- Fanning, K., & Centers, D. (2016). Blockchain and its coming impact on financial services. The Journal of Corporate Accounting and Finance. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jcaf.22179.
- Harvey, C. R., Moorman, C., & Toledo, M. (2018). How blockchain will change marketing as we know it. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3257511.
- Hayek, F. A. (1990). Denationalisation of money: The argument refined-an analysis of the theory and practice of concurrent currencies (3rd ed.).Google Scholar
- Iansiti, M., & Lakhani, K. (2017, January-February). Technology-the truth about blockchain. Harvard Business Review, 118–127.Google Scholar
- Kecskés, Z. (2018). Disruptive innovations in digital marketing: How blockchain could revolutionise the advertising industry.Google Scholar
- Kumar, A., & Pathkak, P. (2018). Synergizing digitization and disruption for the service economy: A perspective on digital marketing. A Journal of Management Sciences. 2018 Special Issue, 86–99 (14 pp.).Google Scholar
- Lewenberg, Y., Sompolinsky, Y., & Zohar, A. (2015). Inclusive blockchain protocols. In Financial cryptography and data security (pp. 528–547).Google Scholar
- Mulligan, C., Zhu Scott, J., Warren, S., & Rangaswami, J. P. (2018, April). World economic forum: Blockchain beyond the hype—A practical framework for business leaders. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from www3.weforum.org/docs/48423_Whether_Blockchain_WP.pdf.
- Nasdaq. (2016). Building on the blockchain-Nasdaq’s vision of innovation. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://business.nasdaq.com/Docs/Blockchain%20Report%20March%202016_tcm5044-26461.pdf.
- Nasdaq. (2018). Nasdaq blockchain strategy-moving beyond the POC. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://business.nasdaq.com/media/Blockchain%20Mutual%20Fund%20Strategy%20SEB%20and%20Nasdaq%202018_tcm5044-61791.pdf.
- Salman, A. (2019). Digital currencies and the power shift in the economy. In M. Mateev & P. Poutziouris (Eds.), Creative business and social innovations for a sustainable future. Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (IEREK Interdisciplinary Series for Sustainable Development). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Salman, A., & Abdul Razzaq, M. G. (2018). Bitcoin and the world of digital currencies. In S. Gokten (Ed.), Financial management from an emerging market perspective. InTech. https://doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.71294. https://www.intechopen.com/books/financial-management-from-an-emerging-market-perspective/bitcoin-and-the-world-of-digital-currencies.Google Scholar
- Seebacher, S., & Schϋritz, R. (2017). Blockchain technology as an enabler of service systems: A structured literature review. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-56925-3_2.
- Tama, B. A., Kweka, B. J., Park, Y., & Rhee, K.-H. (2017). A critical review of blockchain and its current applications, ICECOS. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8167115.
- Tapscott, D., & Tapscott, A. (2017). How blockchain will change organizations. MIT Sloan Management Review, 58, 10–13. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://search.proquest.com/docview/1875399260?pq-origsite=gscholar.
- United Arab Emirates. (2015). Ministry of Cabinet Affairs, Prime Minister’s Office, UAE National Innovation Strategy. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://government.ae/en/about-the-uae/strategies-initiatives-and-awards/federal-governments-strategies-and-plans/national-innovation-strategy.
- United Arab Emirates. (2018). The official portal of the UAE government: Emirates blockchain strategy 2021. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://government.ae/en/about-the-uae/strategies-initiatives-and-awards/federal-governments-strategies-and-plans/emirates-blockchain-strategy-2021.
- United Arab Emirates, UAE Vision 2021. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://www.vision2021.ae/en/uae-vision.
- Yli-Huumo, J., Ko, D., Choi, S., Park, S., & Smolander, K. (2016). Where is current research on blockchain technology?—A systematic review. Retrieved November 13, 2018, from https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0163477.