Sustainability and Financing Project: The UAE Paradigm
- 9 Downloads
The importance of project finance as a method to invest in infrastructure and industrial assets has grown dramatically in the recent years and has become increasingly important not only to public bodies, but primarily to the private sector (Eisenbach et al. in Business Strategy and the Environment 23:375–394, 2014). These trends are expected to continue to grow and one of the major issues within the project finance industry are environmental and social risks (Esty and Sesia in An overview of project finance and infrastructure finance-2009 update. Harvard Business School Publishing, 2010). Project finance industry is increasingly concerned with the volume and awareness of sustainable development (Eisenbach et al. in Business Strategy and the Environment 23:375–394, 2014). Sustainability is becoming a key issue because of its ethical dimensions as well as risk management, firm value and performance. United Arab Emirates (UAE) can be considered a global leader in sustainability. In has actively displayed its commitment by placing sustainable environment and infrastructure as one of its top national priorities in UAE Vision 2021. The purpose of this paper is to mainly present the policies and initiatives that created this unique UAE paradigm. Moreover, the paper examines how sustainability was successfully implemented in UAE’s financed infrastructure at various industries (i.e., smart cities, tourism, sports, etc.) and the added value it produces.
KeywordsAlternative finance Project finance Sustainability Infrastructure Risks Leadership UAE
The author would like to thank Professor Miroslav Mateev for organizing the conference and chairing the presentation panel and Dr. Corlise Le Roux for discussing the paper, and their useful comments.
- Abbas, W. (2018a, February 12). Out of top 10, Dubai is home to world’s 7 tallest hotels. Khaleej Times. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.khaleejtimes.com/nation/dubai/out-of-top-10-dubai-is-home-to-worlds-7-tallest-hotels.
- Abbas, W. (2018b, April 9). Expo 2020 boom: Mega projects set to redesign Dubai’s landscape. Khaleej Times. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.khaleejtimes.com/business//economy/dubai-builds-on-expo-boom.
- Airports Council International. (2018). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://aci.aero/data-centre/.
- Berst, J., & Logsdon, D. (2016). The hill: At smart cities week, tackling opportunities and challenges. Smart Cities Council. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://smartcitiescouncil.com/article/hill-smart-cities-week-tackling-opportunities-and-challenges.
- Connoly, E. (2018, February 18). Yas marina circuit sold for US$1.32 billion. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/yas_marina_circuit_sold_for_us1.32_billion.
- Department of Culture and Tourism. (2018). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://tcaabudhabi.ae/en/what.we.do/tourism/sustainability.aspx.
- Esty, B., & Sesia A. (2010). An overview of project finance and infrastructure finance-2009 update. Harvard Business School Publishing. Case No. 9-210-061.Google Scholar
- Farole, T., & Akinci, G. (2011). Special economic zones: Progress, emerging challenges, and future direction. The World Bank Publications.Google Scholar
- Goverment of Abu Dhadi. (2008). Council for economic development: The Abu Dhabi economic vision 2030. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.ecouncil.ae/PublicationsEn/economic-vision-2030-full-versionEn.pdf.
- Government of Dubai. (2018). Dubai strategic plan 2021. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/Articles/DispForm.aspx?ID=108&event=Planning%20a%20business%20in%20Dubai&category=Businesses.
- Government of India. (2018). Ministry of housing and urban affairs: Smart cities mission. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from http://smartcities.gov.in/content/innerpage/what-is-smart-city.php.
- Haine, A. (2018, September 25). Tourists spend more in Dubai than any other city in the world. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.thenational.ae/business/travel-and-tourism/tourists-spend-more-in-dubai-than-any-other-city-in-the-world-1.773851.
- His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. (2018). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://hamdan.ae/en-us/department?aid=5.
- Issac, J. (2018, February 3). UAE remains No.1 in GCC for construction. Khaleej Times. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.khaleejtimes.com/business/local//uae-remains-no1-in-gcc-for-construction.
- James, B., & Vaaler P. (2018) Minority rules: Credible state ownership and investment risk around the world. 29(4), 547–753, C3.Google Scholar
- Lagos, D., & Courtis, P. (2008). Business clusters formation as a means of improving competitiveness in the tourism sector. European Research Studies Journal, 11(1/2), 111–121.Google Scholar
- Lewis, G. (2009, October 31). How green is your grand prix? Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/motoring/how-green-is-your-grand-prix-1.512160.
- Masdar City. (2018). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://masdar.ae/en/masdar-city/live-work-play.
- Mastercard. (2018). Big cities, big business: Bankong, London and Paris lead the way in Mastercard’s 2018 global destination cities index. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/big-cities-big-business-bangkok-london-and-paris-lead-the-way-in-mastercards-2018-global-destination-cities-index/.
- McKinsey Global Institute. (2018, June). Smart cities: Digital solutions for a more livable future.Google Scholar
- Meydan. (2018). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from http://www.meydan.ae/.
- Mirabile, M., Marchal V., & Baron R. (2017). Technical note on estimates of infrastructure investment needs Background document to the report investing in climate, investing in growth. OECD.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2018, March). Headquarters, Paris: 3rd OECD forum on governance of infrastructure summary: In the public interest: Delivery of sustainable, transparent and inclusive infrastructure. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwixo4Lph8zeAhVux4UKHezhDLgQFjAAegQICBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oecd.org%2Fgov%2Finfrastructure-forum-summary-report-2018.pdf&usg=AOvVaw07alWl7lhqC-HK58ff9-Sj.
- Oxford Economics. (2014). Quantifying the economic impact of aviation in Dubai: A report for Emirates and Dubai Airports.Google Scholar
- Petratos P., & Petratos P. (2019, January 27–28). Sustainable development, infrastructure and digital transformation: Encouraging financial innovation. In: UAE-PPF-2019: UAE Public Policy Forum 2019 “Accelerating SDGs Implementation: Future Policy Roadmap”, Conference Proceedings, MBRSG.Google Scholar
- Piperopoulos, P. (2012). Entrepreneurship, innovation and business clusters. Gower.Google Scholar
- Raven, H. (2014, November 9). Yas mall. Construction Week Online. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-31101-yas-mall/.
- Schwab, K. (2018). World economic forum: The global competitiveness report, 2018 edition.Google Scholar
- UAE Government. (2018a). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.government.ae/en/information-and-services/visiting-and-exploring-the-uae/travel-and-touris.
- UAE Government. (2018b). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.government.ae/en/about-the-uae/culture/sports-and-recreation.
- UAE Government. (2018c). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.government.ae/en/information-and-services/infrastructure/civic-facilities/major-highways-and-bridges.
- UAE Government. (2018d). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://government.ae/en/information-and-services/environment-and-energy/water-and-energy/energy.
- United Arab Emirates. (2017a). Ministry of the economy, annual economic report 2017 (2th ed.).Google Scholar
- United Arab Emirates. (2017b). Ministry of infrastructure development: Ministry of infrastructure development, strategic plan 2021–2017.Google Scholar
- United Arab Emirates. (2018). Ministry of climate change and the environment. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.moccae.gov.ae/en/about-ministry/about-the-ministry/missionvision-and-values.aspx.
- UAE Vision 2021. (2018). National agenda 2021. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.vision2021.ae/en/national-agenda-2021.
- Yas Marina Circuit. (2018). Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/about-us/who-are-we/.