The Potential of Pineapple Leaf Fibre as an Acoustic Absorber
This study discussed an alternative material known as pineapple leaf fibres (PALF) as a replacement of synthetic fibres in sound absorber production. The samples were fabricated from two different sizes of PALF, with and without binder of different thicknesses and densities to determine their effects on the sound absorption coefficient (SAC). The performance of SAC was measured by using an impedance tube instrument according to ISO 10534-2. The resulting frequency peak value of PALF obtained was in the range of 1–2 kHz. The results demonstrated PALF as a new hope for environmentally-friendly sound absorption material in replacing synthetic fibres. The PALF was capable of achieving SAC of more than 0.9 on average above 1 kHz by keeping the densities and thicknesses of the fibres under control. Additionally, the acoustic performance of PALF specimens was better than that of synthetic absorbers available in the market. Therefore, PALF is a promising natural fibre that can be potentially used as a sound absorber material.
KeywordsPineapple leaf fibre Sound absorber Acoustic Sound absorption coefficient
The activity presented in the paper is part of the research grant under the Ministry of Higher Learning (MOHE) and Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)—FRGS R.J130000.7822.4F887.
- 2.Wong K, Ahsan Q, Putra A, Subramonian S, Nor MJM (2017) Preliminary study on the sound absorption behavior of spent tea leaves filled with natural rubber latex binder. Jurnal Teknologi 79(5–2):59–64Google Scholar
- 3.Mediastika CE (2009) Jerami sebagai bahan baku panel akustik pelapis dinding. DIMENSI, J Des Built Environ 36(1):20Google Scholar
- 6.Ismail L, Ghazali MI, Mahzan S, Zaidi AMA (2010) Sound absorption of Arenga pinnata natural fiber. World Acad Sci Eng Technol 67:804–806Google Scholar
- 12.Koizumi T, Tsujiuchi N, Adachi A (2002) The development of sound absorbing materials using natural bamboo fibers. High Perform Struct Mater 4:157–166Google Scholar
- 13.FAOSTAT, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#data/QC
- 15.Mohamed AR, Sapuan SM, Shahjahan M, Khalina A (2009) Characterization of pineapple leaf fibers from selected Malaysian cultivars. J Food Agric Environ 7:235–240Google Scholar
- 16.ASTM E1050-98 (2006) Standard test method for impedance and absorption of acoustical materials using a tube, two microphones and a digital frequency analysis system. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PAGoogle Scholar