Paradoxes of Transference and the Place of the Psychoanalyst: Commentary on Session XXIII
- 12 Downloads
This commentary focuses on Lacan’s discussion of the clinical relevance of the Ego-Ideal and the Ideal Ego, as well as their relationship to narcissism in the XXIII session of Seminar VIII. From the main threads explored by Jacques Lacan along with a viable tension between philosophical and psychoanalytic arguments, this commentary provides insights and grounds to consider the exploration of the thinker. The commentary underlines three main subsets of Lacan’s discussion: (1) The psychoanalysts and their crowd; (2) Paradoxes of transference; and, (3) The place of the psychoanalyst; aiming at a better refinement of the French psychoanalyst concerns surrounding transference, its clinical validity and importance.
- Badiou, Alain. 2008. Conditions. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Dolar, Mladen. 1991. “I Shall Be with You on Your Wedding-Night”: Lacan and the Uncanny. October 58, Rendering the Real (Autumn): 5–23.Google Scholar
- ———. 2008. “Freud and the Political.” Unbound, 4 (15): 15–29.Google Scholar
- Dunker, Christian. 2015. Mal-estar, Sofrimento e Sintoma. São Paulo: Boitempo Editorial.Google Scholar
- Freud, Sigmund. 1919. “The Uncanny.” In Freud Complete Words (1953–74), vol. 17, 219–56. London: Hogarth Press.Google Scholar
- Gay, Peter. 1989. Freud, 229–230. London: W. W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Gonsalves, Rodrigo. 2016. Ethics and Monstrosity on Psychoanalysis. https://egs.academia.edu/RodrigoGonsalves. Last accessed 1 November 2017.
- Jekels, Ludwig, and Edmund Bergler. 1931. “Transference and Love: Read Before the Vienna Psychoanalytic Society.” November 8. First published in Imago, XX, 19 M, 5–31.Google Scholar
- Lacan, Jacques. 1961. “Transference”. In Le Séminaire - Livre VIII, 543–567. Paris: Seuil.Google Scholar
- ———. 1966. “The Situation of Psychoanalysis and the Training of Psychoanalysts in 1956.” In Écrits. Le Champ Freudien, edited by Jacques Lacan, 396–397. Paris: Editions du Seuil.Google Scholar
- Royle, Nicholas. 2003. The Uncanny. Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Žižek, Slavoj. 2008. The Sublime Object of Ideology. London, UK: Verso Books.Google Scholar