Optimized Encoding Methods of the Overlapped Rectangular Non-symmetry and Anti-packing Model
The overlapped rectangular non-symmetry and anti-packing model (ORNAM) is a kind of image representation model developed from the original non-overlapped one. Aimed at the difference of them, this paper proposes two methods to improve the compression performance of the ORNAM coding (ORNAMC) for gray images. One is the adaptive arithmetic coding. The other is the adjacent position correlation encoding based on column bisections. In the experiment, we compare the improved algorithms with the original one and the classic quad tree coding algorithm. The results showed that our improvement increases the compression ratio under the premise of maintaining the quality of gray images.
KeywordsOverlapped Rectangular Non-symmetry and Anti-packing Model (ORNAM) Image compression Adaptive arithmetic encoding Adjacent position correlation encoding Column bisections
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant No. 61300134, the Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China under Grant No. 20120172120036, the Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province of China under Grant No. S2011040005815, No. S2013010012515, No. 2015A030313206, and No. 2017A030313349, the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities of China under Grant No. 2015ZM133, the Chinese National Scholarship Fund under Grant No. 201406155015, and the Undergraduate Innovative and Entrepreneurial Training Program of Guangdong Province of China under Grant No. S201910561235.
- 1.Shu, X., Wu, X., Liu, B.: A study on quantization effects of DCT based compression. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 3500–3504 (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Koya, T., Chandran, S., Vijayalakshmi, K.: Analysis of application of arithmetic coding on DCT and DCT-DWT hybrid transforms of images for compression. In: International Conference on Networks and Advances in Computational Technologies (NetACT), pp. 288–293 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Agrwal, S.L., Sharma, M., Kumari, D., Gupta, S.K.: Improved image compression technique using IWT-DCT transformation. In: 2nd International Conference on Next Generation Computing Technologies (NGCT), pp. 683–686 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Mantoro, T., Alfiah, F.: Comparison methods of DCT, DWT and FFT techniques approach on lossy image compression. In: International Conference on Computing, Engineering, and Design (ICCED), pp. 1–4 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Bhade, U., Kumar, S., Dwivedy, P., Soofi, S., Ray, A.: Comparative study of DWT, DCT, BTC and SVD techniques for image compression. In: International Conference on Recent Innovations in Signal processing and Embedded Systems (RISE), pp. 279–283 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, H., Zhu, Y.: Lossless image compression based on DPCM-IWPT. In: 2008 ISECS International Colloquium on Computing, Communication, Control, and Management, vol. 1, pp. 157–160 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Banerjee, A., Halder, A.: An efficient image compression algorithm for almost dual-color image based on k-means clustering, bit-map generation and RLE. In: 2010 International Conference on Computer and Communication Technology (ICCCT), pp. 201–205 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, Y., Luo, L.: Lossless compression of full-surface solar magnetic field image based on huffman coding. In: IEEE 2nd Information Technology, Networking, Electronic and Automation Control Conference (ITNEC), pp. 899–903 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Zahir, S., Naqvi, M.: A new rectangular partitioning based lossless binary image compression scheme. In: Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, pp. 281–285 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Belyaev, E., Gilmutdinov, M., Turlikov, A.: Binary arithmetic coding system with adaptive probability estimation by “virtual sliding window”. In: IEEE International Symposium on Consumer Electronics, pp. 1–5 (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Witten, I.H., Neal, R.M., Cleary, J.G.: Arithmetic coding for data compression. Springer, New York (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Zhang, D., Yang, X., Jiang, D., Lin, G.: Binary image optimized coding based on rectangular partitioning. J. Comput.-Aided Design Comput. Graph. 13(8), 742–746 (2001)Google Scholar