Contextual Analysis of Transactional Data
Data analysis is often attempted by business stakeholder on transactional databases, that are maintained within the overall enterprise system, in order to understand patterns of user behavior, transaction types, and their impact on the utility and value of interest to the enterprise. Statistical and machine learning techniques are often used to make predictions and decisions. In order to guide the business stakeholder ask the right questions and guide the query processor in fetching the most accurate answers to the questions we introduce formal approaches in which the five dimensional context information What?, Why?, Where?, When?, Who? are captured. When the transactions are contextually qualified both querying and analysis of data on their responses will lead to efficient and accurate discovery of interesting patterns for decision making.
KeywordsContextual analysis Information system Formalization Transactional data Data analysis
The first author gratefully acknowledges the support received through a Discovery Grant awarded by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Canada.
- 1.Alsaig, A., Alagar, V., Ormandjieva, O.: A critical analysis of the V-model of big data. In: 17th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom/BigDataSE), pp. 1809-1813 (2018)Google Scholar
- 2.Artikis, A., Sergot, M., Paliouras, G.: Reactive reasoning with the event calculus. In: arXiv:1505.05364v (cs.AI), pp. 1–7 (2015)
- 5.Dey, A.K., Abowd, G.D., Salber, D.: A context-based infrastructure for smart environments. In: Managing Interactions in Smart Environments, pp. 114–128. Springer (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Jepson, P., Hushlak, A.: Big data and environmental sustainability: a conversation starter. In: Working Paper Smith School Working Paper Series, University of Oxford, vol. 14-04 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.McCarthy, J., Buvac, S.: Formalizing Contexts (expanded notes). In: Technical Report, Stanford University (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Schönberger, M., Cukier, V.: Big data: a revolution that will transform how we live, work, and think. Eamon Dolan/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Wan, K.: Lucx: lucid enriched with context. In: Proceedings of Proceedings of 2006 International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Security (CIS2006), Guangzhou, PRC, 03–06 November 2006, pp. 1523–1527 (2006). (also to appear in Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence)Google Scholar
- 13.Wan, K.,Alagar, V.: Integrating context-awareness and trustworthiness in IoT descriptions. In: Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things, Beijing, China, pp. 1168–1174, August 2013Google Scholar