Developing the Circular Water Economy: Reuse and Recycle
Reused and recycled water can be used for a variety of non-potable uses including industrial processes and irrigation of agricultural land. Recycled water can also be blended with surface or groundwater to increase supplies. This reduces the economic and environmental costs related to establishing new water supplies in the development of the circular water economy.
KeywordsWater reuse Recycled water Water recycling
- American Geosciences Institute. “Managed Aquifer Recharge.” https://www.americangeosciences.org/critical-issues/factsheet/managed-aquifer-recharge.
- Australian Water Association. “Water Recycling.” http://www.awa.asn.au/AWA_MBRR/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Water_Recycling_Fact_Sheet/AWA_MBRR/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Water_Recycling_Fact_Sheet.aspx?hkey=54c6e74b-0985-4d34-8422-fc3f7523aa1d.
- Brears, R. C. The Green Economy and the Water-Energy-Food Nexus. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017.Google Scholar
- ———. “New York City Embracing Future Water Challenges.” Mark and Focus, 2018.Google Scholar
- Central Arizona Project. “About Us.” https://www.cap-az.com/about-us.
- ———. “Recharge Program.” https://www.cap-az.com/departments/recharge-program.
- Centre for Advanced Process Technology for Urban REsource recovery. “Water ‘Fit for Use’.” https://capture-resources.be/water-fit-use.
- City of Wichita Falls. “2018 Drinking Water Quality Report.” (2018). http://www.wichitafallstx.gov/DocumentCenter/View/30928/2018-Drinking-Water-Report-for-Web.
- ———. “What Is the Latest News on the Direct Potable Reuse Project (DPR)?” http://www.wichitafallstx.gov/faq.aspx?qid=513.
- Environment Agency. “Greywater for Domestic Users: An Information Guide.” (2011).Google Scholar
- EPA Victoria. “Guidelines for Environmental Management Use of Reclaimed Water.” (2003). https://www.epa.vic.gov.au/~/media/Publications/464%202.pdf.
- ———. “Reusing and Recycling Water.” https://www.epa.vic.gov.au/your-environment/water/reusing-and-recycling-water#sewage.
- Evides Industriewater. “Process Water.” https://www.evidesindustriewater.nl/products-markets/process-water/?lang=en.
- Evoqua. “Industrial Water Reuse and Recycle.” http://www.evoqua.com/en/brands/IPS/Pages/Industrial-Water-Recycle.aspx.
- Hamburg Wasser. “Blackwater.” https://www.hamburgwatercycle.de/en/hamburg-water-cycler/blackwater/.
- Hunter Water. “Agricultural Use.” https://www.hunterwater.com.au/Water-and-Sewer/Recycling–Reuse/Agricultural-Use.aspx.
- LADWP. “Industrial Stormwater Rebate Program.” (2018). https://www.ladwp.com/cs/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=OPLADWPCCB645433&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased.
- Lawrence, Justin E., Christopher P. W. Pavia, Sereyvicheth Kaing, Heather N. Bischel, Richard G. Luthy, and Vincent H. Resh. “Recycled Water for Augmenting Urban Streams in Mediterranean-Climate Regions: A Potential Approach for Riparian Ecosystem Enhancement.” Hydrological Sciences Journal 59, no. 3–4 (2014, April 3): 488–501.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. “Overview for Stormwater and Rainwater Harvest and Use/Reuse.” https://stormwater.pca.state.mn.us/index.php?title=Overview_for_stormwater_and_rainwater_harvest_and_use/reuse.
- Pain, A., and D. Spuhler. “Wastewater Reuse in Industry.” https://sswm.info/water-nutrient-cycle/water-use/hardwares/optimisation-water-use-industries/wastewater-reuse-in-industry.
- Queensland Urban Utilities. “Recycled Water.” https://www.urbanutilities.com.au/business/business-services/recycled-water.
- Recycled Water in Australia. “Definitions.” http://www.recycledwater.com.au/index.php?id=105.
- Regional San. “South County Ag Program.” https://www.regionalsan.com/south-county-ag-program.
- ———. “Water Recycling Program South County Ag Fact Sheet.” (2014). https://www.regionalsan.com/sites/main/files/file-attachments/final_benefit_only_tm.pdf.
- University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources. “Use of Treated Wastewater for Crop Production.” (2017). https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8534.pdf.
- US EPA. “Rainwater Harvesting. Conservation, Credit, Codes, and Cost Literature Review and Case Studies.” (2013). https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-11/documents/rainharvesting.pdf.
- ———. “Water Reuse and Recycling: Community and Environmental Benefits.” https://www3.epa.gov/region9/water/recycling/#benefits.
- US Water Alliance. “Making the Utility Case for Onsite Non-potable Water Systems.” (2018). http://uswateralliance.org/sites/uswateralliance.org/files/publications/NBRC_Utility%20Case%20for%20ONWS_032818.pdf.pdf.
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute. “Blackwater Recycling System.” https://wp.wpi.edu/capetown/projects/p2009/gardens/accomplishments/composting-options-for-the-proposed-sanitation-facility/black-water-recycling-system/.