Developing the Circular Water Economy: Reduce
In the circular water economy, the concept of reduce is achieved through water conservation and water efficiency measures, in particular using less water and, where we do need to use water, making sure water is used efficiently. At the same time, reducing water usage can restore the natural environment.
KeywordsWater conservation Water efficiency Demand management
- Arab Forum for Environment and Development. “Water Efficiency Handbook: Identifying Opportunities to Increase Water Use Efficiency in Industry, Buildings, and Agriculture in the Arab Countries.” (2014). http://www.afedonline.org/WEH2014/eng/WATER-Efficiency-Handbook-ENGLISH.pdf.
- Barua, S., R. Kumar, and P. Singh. “10 Water Saving Techniques in Agriculture.” http://www.indiawaterportal.org/articles/10-water-saving-techniques-agriculture.
- Brears, R. C. Blue and Green Cities: The Role of Blue-Green Infrastructure in Managing Urban Water Resources. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018.Google Scholar
- ———. Climate Resilient Water Resources Management. Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018.Google Scholar
- ———. The Green Economy and the Water-Energy-Food Nexus. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017.Google Scholar
- ———. Urban Water Security. Chichester, UK and Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2016.Google Scholar
- City of Calgary. “Multi-unit Toilet Replacement Program.” http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pages/Water-conservation/Indoor-water-conservation/Toilet-rebates/Hotel-motel-toilet/Hotel-Motel-Toilet-Replacement-Program.aspx.
- City of Guelph. “Residential Sub-water Meter Program.” http://guelph.ca/living/environment/rebates/residential-sub-water-meter-program/.
- City of Santa Cruz. “Plumbing Fixture Retrofit Regulations.” http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/government/city-departments/water/conservation/regulations/plumbing-fixture-retrofit-regulations.
- City of Vancouver. “New Water Restrictions Explained.” https://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/understanding-watering-restrictions.aspx.
- Empire State Development. “New York State New Farmers Grant Fund Program.” https://esd.ny.gov/new-farmers-grant-fund-program.
- Government of Hong Kong. “WSD Launches Requirements for Mandatory Use of Devices Under Water Efficiency Labelling Scheme.” https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201701/20/P2017011900857.htm.
- McDonald, Robert I., Katherine F. Weber, Julie Padowski, Tim Boucher, and Daniel Shemie. “Estimating Watershed Degradation over the Last Century and Its Impact on Water-Treatment Costs for the World’s Large Cities.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113, no. 32 (2016): 9117–22.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- National Institute of Building Sciences. “Water Conservation.” https://www.wbdg.org/resources/water-conservation.
- NYC DEP. “New York City Water Challenge to Restaurants.” http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/ways_to_save_water/nyc-water-restaurants-challenge.shtml.
- Pacific Institute. “Multiple Benefits of Water Conservation and Efficiency for California Agriculture.” https://pacinst.org/publication/multiple-benefits-of-water-conservation-and-efficiency-for-california-agriculture/.
- Pacific Institute and NRDC. “Agricultural Water Conservation and Efficiency Potential in California.” (2014). http://pacinst.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ca-water-ag-efficiency.pdf.
- Policy Research Initiative, Government of Canada. Economic Instruments for Water Demand Management in an Integrated Water Resources Management Framework: Synthesis Report. Policy Research Institute, 2005.Google Scholar
- Queensland Urban Utilities. “Prices and Charges 2018–19.” https://www.urbanutilities.com.au/residential/accounts-and-billing/prices-and-charges-2018-19.
- Severn Trent. “We’re Detecting Leaks from Space!” https://www.stwater.co.uk/news/news-releases/wearedetectingleaksfromspace/.
- Smart City Sweden. “Artificial Wetlands in Trosa.” https://smartcitysweden.com/reference-objects/77/artificial-wetlands-in-trosa/.
- South East Water. “Play Games and Explore.” https://www.educationsoutheastwater.com.au/im-a-student/play-games-and-explore.
- State of Green. “Reducing Urban Water Loss.” (2016). https://stateofgreen.com/en/publications/reducing-urban-water-loss/.
- U.S. Department of Energy. “Guide to Home Water Efficiency.” (2010). https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/guide_to_home_water_efficiency.pdf.
- U.S. Green Building Council. “Green Building 101: How Does Water Efficiency Impact a Building?”Google Scholar
- Water Supply Department. “Water Efficiency Labelling Scheme.” https://www.wsd.gov.hk/en/plumbing-engineering/water-efficiency-labelling-scheme/index.html.
- Wellington City Council. “Water Conservation and Efficiency Plan 2011.” (2011). https://wellington.govt.nz/~/media/your-council/plans-policies-and-bylaws/plans-and-policies/a-to-z/waterconservation/files/waterconservation.pdf?la=en.
- Wellington Water. “Buy Water Efficient Products (Wels).” https://www.wellingtonwater.co.nz/your-water/drinking-water/looking-after-your-water/water-conservation/water-conservation-inside/buy-water-efficient-products-wels/.
- Welsh Water. “Water Efficiency Audit.” https://www.dwrcymru.com/en/Business/Our-Services/Water-Efficiency-Audit.aspx.