Toward an Outline of Jewish Name-Theology
- 19 Downloads
The summary revisits key findings pertaining to each of the interpretations and conceptual systems discussed throughout the work, with an emphasis on their implications on YHWH’s status as a proper name for the divine. It offers a broader comparative overview of the evolution of meanings attributed to the Name and suggests that from the biblical interpretation of the Name, which integrates both a descriptive and an indicative sense, two hermeneutical traditions emerge. Most importantly, the book concludes that out of the integration of these two hermeneutical traditions, a tendency particular to the Jewish tradition is revealed, indicating that Jews ask less what or who God is, and more how can He be spoken to.
Following the summary part, this concluding chapter turns to chart what, in the author’s view, are the key directions a contemporary name-theology ought to take, both in the individual and in the collective realms.
- Ashkenazi, Y (Forthcoming), Three Essays on Modernity: Love, Liberty, Transcendence.Google Scholar
- Baeck, L, Howe, I, Grubwieser, V 1978, The essence of Judaism, New York: Schocken Books.Google Scholar
- Cohen, H, Strauss, L 1972, Religion of reason: out of the sources of Judaism, New York: F. Ungar.Google Scholar
- George, A 2010, The rise of Islamic calligraphy, London: Saqi.Google Scholar
- Juhasz, E 2006–2007, ‘The making of a Jewish votive object: Between text and image, spirit and matter; the example of the Shiviti-Menorah plaque’, Jerusalem Studies in Jewish Folklore, vol. 24/25, pp. 349–82.Google Scholar
- Levinas, E 1976, Noms propres, Saint-Clément-la-Rivière: Fata Morgana.Google Scholar
- Levinas, E 2012, Autrement qu’etre, ou, Au-dela de l’essence, Springer Science & Business Media.Google Scholar
- Novak, D 2007, The election of Israel: The idea of the chosen people. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Novak, D 2009, Covenantal rights: a study in Jewish political theory. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Rosenzweig, F 2014, The star of redemption, Notre Dame, IN: Notre Dame Press.Google Scholar
- Rothschild, FA 1996, Jewish perspectives on Christianity: Leo Baeck, Martin Buber, Franz Rosenzweig, Will Herberg, and Abraham J. Heschel, New York: Continuum.Google Scholar