A Novel Endoscopic Navigation System: Simultaneous Endoscope and Radial Ultrasound Probe Tracking Without External Trackers
This paper develops a fully novel endoscopic navigation system that can simultaneously navigate a flexible endoscope and radial ultrasound miniature probe without using external tracking devices. Current navigated endoscopy (e.g., video- or electromagnetic-based navigation) usually tracks only the endoscope motion and inspects the interior of a body cavity or hollow organ and has no ability to visualize anatomical structures (e.g., pulmonary or abdominal lymph nodes) beyond the wall of the body cavity. To enhance endoscopic navigation, we introduce a radial ultrasound miniature probe that goes through the working channel of the endoscope to observe anatomical structures under the organ wall. However, the location of the ultrasound probe is difficult to determine inside the hollow organ. We propose a new navigation framework on the basis of video-volume registration, visual tracking, and ultrasound-volume alignment to simultaneously navigate the endoscope and probe in endoscopic interventions. Our framework can simultaneously and spatially synchronize pre-operative images, endoscopic video sequences, and ultrasound images to realize a fully new navigation system.
This work was partly supported by the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. 20720180062) and National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61971367).
- 1.Luo, X., Mori, K.: A discriminative structural similarity measure and its application to video-volume registration for endoscope three-dimensional motion tracking. IEEE TMI 33(6), 1248–1261 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Shen, M., Giannarou, S., Yang, G.-Z.: Robust camera localisation with depth reconstruction for bronchoscopic navigation. IJCARS 10(6), 801–813 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Shen, M., Giannarou, S., Shah, P.L., Yang, G.-Z.: BRANCH: bifurcation recognition for airway navigation based on struCtural cHaracteristics. In: Descoteaux, M., Maier-Hein, L., Franz, A., Jannin, P., Collins, D.L., Duchesne, S. (eds.) MICCAI 2017. LNCS, vol. 10434, pp. 182–189. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-66185-8_21CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Luo, X., Wan, Y., He, X., Mori, K.: Observation-driven adaptive differential evolution and its application to accurate and smooth bronchoscope three-dimensional motion tracking. MedIA 24(1), 282–296 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Sorger, H., Hofstad, E.F., Amundsen, T., Lango, T., Leira, H.O.: A novel platform for electromagnetic navigated ultrasound bronchoscopy (EBUS). IJCARS 11(8), 1431–1443 (2016)Google Scholar