Swing up and Stabilization of Rotational Inverted Pendulum by Fuzzy Sliding Mode Controller
Rotational inverted pendulum (RIP) is widely used as a benchmark system in assessing various control strategies. Though a Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) controller is widely used control strategy, it is not recommended for the inverted pendulum due to the difficulties in tuning PID parameters. This paper presents Sliding Mode Controller (SMC) and Fuzzy Sliding Mode Controller (FSMC) for stabilizing the RIP. SMC is applied for the stabilization and robust control of RIP based on pole placement method. The drawbacks of SMC in terms of high control gain and chattering are overcome by FSMC. These controllers are applied to the RIP in real-time and their performance is compared on the basis of Pendulum regulation.
KeywordsRotational Inverted Pendulum PID SMC FSMC
- 2.Ozbek, N.S., Efe, M.O.: Swing up and stabilization control experiments for a rotary inverted pendulum - an educational comparison. In: IEEE International Conference, October 2010Google Scholar
- 3.Li, Z., Zhang, X., Chen, C., Guo, Y.: The modeling and simulation on sliding mode control applied in the double inverted pendulum system. In: Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Beijing, China, 6–8 July 2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Dastranj, M.R., Moghaddas, M., Ghezi, Y., Rouhani, M.: Robust control of inverted pendulum using fuzzy sliding mode control and genetic algorithm. Int. J. Inf. Electron. Eng. 2(5), 773 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Kumar, K.P., Rao, S.K.: Modelling and controller designing of Rotary Inverted Pendulum - comparison by using various design methods. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Technol. Res. 3(10), 2747–2754 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Duart, J.L., Montero, B., Ospina, P.A., Gonzalez, E.: Dynamic modeling and simulation of a Rotational Inverted Pendulum. J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 792 (2017)Google Scholar