Party Leaders in Romania: Designated Successors or Tactical Players?
This chapter focuses on two leaders belonging to influential parties in Romanian politics: Emil Boc (PDL) and Victor Ponta (PSD). We aimed to include those leaders that would allow an analysis of the relationship between their personality and behavior, and the general evolution of the party. Our analysis, consistent with the general goal of this book, seeks to test the leadership’s impact on party organization in terms of electoral performance, intra-party cohesion and membership. Both party leaders were also prime ministers in turbulent times, which makes the comparison even more interesting.
KeywordsProtégé Gradual ascension Confidence Awareness Party membership
- Duţulescu, A. (2011, May 15). Băsescu a plâns din nou şi a câştigat Convenţia PDL [Băsescu cried again and won the PDL Congress]. Jurnalul.Ro. Retrieved from https://jurnalul.antena3.ro/stiri/politica/basescu-a-plans-din-nou-si-a-castigat-conventia-pdl-578098.html.
- Gallagher, T. (2005). Theft of a nation: Romania since communism. London: Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd.Google Scholar
- Gherghina, S., & Miscoiu, S. (Eds.). (2010). Partide si personalitati popuiste in România postcomunista [Populist political parties and leaders in post-communist Romania]. Iasi: Institutul European.Google Scholar
- HotNews. (2010a, February 20). Victor Ponta este noul presedinte al PSD [Victor Ponta is the new PSD president]. HotNews.Ro.Google Scholar
- HotNews. (2010b, March 11). Emil Boc: PNL a intins mana celor care au colaborat cu fosta Securitate [Emil Boc: PNL gave a hand to those who collaborated with the former Securitate]. HotNews.Ro. Retrieved from http://www.hotnews.ro/stiri-8378914-.htm?nomobile.
- Mediafax. (2013, April 21). Congresul PSD: Victor Ponta a avut 3851 voturi “pentru” din 3932 valabil exprimate [The PSD Congress: Victor Ponta had 3851 votes “in favor” out of 3932 valid votes]. Mediafax.Ro. Retrieved from https://www.mediafax.ro/politic/congresul-psd-victor-ponta-a-avut-3851-voturi-pentru-din-3932-valabil-exprimate-voturile-inregistrate-pentru-fiecare-functie-10775482.
- Parvu, L. (2010, September 27). Sedinta tensionata la PDL [Tensed meeting at PDL]. HotNews.Ro. Retrieved from https://www.hotnews.ro/stiri-politic-7852466-sedinta-tensionata-pdl-mai-multi-lideri-pdl-fac-presiuni-pentru-retragerea-demisiei-lui-blaga-filmul-demisiei-ministrului-interne.htm.
- Poguntke, T., & Webb, P. (Eds.). (2005). The presidentialization of politics: A comparative study of modern democracies. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Pop-Eleches, G. (1999). Separated at birth or separated by birth? The communist successor parties in Romania and Hungary. East European Politics and Societies, 13(1), 117–147.Google Scholar
- Stan, L., & Vancea, D. (Eds.). (2015). Post-communist Romania at twenty-five: Linking past, present, and future. London: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- Volintiru, C. (2016). Clientelism and cartelization in post-communist Europe: The case of Romania (Doctoral dissertation). London School of Economics and Political Science, London.Google Scholar