The introduction chapter sets the stage for the context of this research topic and the manuscript. I introduce the concept of food insecurity in the U.S. by presenting USDA definitions and current statistics in the broader U.S. population. Next, I discuss the growing awareness and attention to food insecurity among college students by highlighting the increasing research on the prevalence and experience of food insecurity in college across the U.S. Next, I discuss the research project, research design, and methodology of my qualitative, ethnographic research at the University of North Texas (UNT). I highlight this project’s contribution to the literature on food insecurity among college students. I interviewed 92 students who were clients of the UNT Food Pantry. This is the largest qualitative study to be published to date, and it captures student perspectives on the meaning and experience of food insecurity.
KeywordsFood insecurity Food insecurity in college Qualitative Ethnography
- Allen, Alejandro C. 2019. Study Hard, Eat Less: Exploring Food Insecurity Among College Students. Master’s Thesis, Texas State University, San Marcos, TX.Google Scholar
- Bruening, Meg, Katy Argo, Devon Payne-Sturges, and Melissa N. Laska. 2017. The Struggle Is Real: A Systematic Review of Food Insecurity on Postsecondary Education Campuses. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 117 (11): 1767–1791. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2017.05.022.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Carnevale, Anthony, Stephen Rose, and Ban Cheah. 2014. The College Payoff: Education, Occupations, Lifetime Earnings. Center on Education and the Workforce. https://1gyhoq479ufd3yna29x7ubjn-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/collegepayoff-completed.pdf. Accessed 10 Apr 2019.
- Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP). 2015. Yesterday’s Nontraditional Student is Today’s Traditional Student. Report. http://www.clasp.org/resources-and-publications/publication-1/CPES-Nontraditionalstudents-pdf.pdf. Accessed 7 Mar 2017.
- Coleman-Jensen, Alisha, Matthew P. Rabbitt, Christian A. Gregory, and Anita Singh. 2018. Household Food Security in the United States in 2017. Report No. 256. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.Google Scholar
- College Board. 2019. Average Estimated Undergraduate Budgets, 2018–19. Average Estimated Undergraduate Budgets, 2018–19. Trends in Higher Education. https://trends.collegeboard.org/college-pricing/figures-tables/average-estimated-undergraduate-budgets-2018-19. Accessed 7 June 2019.
- Crutchfield, Rashida, and Jennifer Maguire. 2018. Study of Student Basic Needs, January. https://www2.calstate.edu/impact-of-the-csu/student-success/basic-needs-initiative/Documents/BasicNeedsStudy_phaseII_withAccessibilityComments.pdf. Accessed 17 May 2019.
- Dean of Students. 2018. University of North Texas. deanofstudents.unt.edu/resources/food-pantry. Accessed 6 Aug 2018.
- Dhillon, Jaapna, L. Karina Diaz Rios, Kaitlyn Aldaz, Natalie De La Cruz, Emily Vu, Syed Asad Asghar, Quintin Kuse, and Rudy Ortiz. 2019. We Don’t Have a Lot of Healthy Options: Food Environment Perceptions of First-Year, Minority College Students Attending a Food Desert Campus. Nutrients 11 (4): 816. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11040816.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Feeding America. 2018. Learn More About Hunger in America. http://www.feedingamerica.org/research/hunger-in-america/facts-and-faces/. Accessed 17 May 2019.
- Gaines, Alisha, Clifford A. Robb, Linda L. Knol, and Stephanie Sickler. 2014. Examining the Role of Financial Factors, Resources and Skills in Predicting Food Security Status among College Students. International Journal of Consumer Studies 38 (4): 374–384. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12110.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Global Food Initiative: Food and Housing Security at the University of California. 2017. Report. University of California, December. https://www.ucop.edu/global-food-initiative/_files/food-housing-security.pdf. Accessed 2 Apr 2019.
- Goldrick-Rab, Sara, Christine Baker-Smith, Vanessa Coca, Elizabeth Looker, and Tiffani Williams. 2019a. College and University Basic Needs Insecurity: A National #RealCollege Survey Report. Report, April. https://hope4college.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/HOPE_realcollege_National_report_digital.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2019.
- Goldrick-Rab, Sara, Vanessa Coca, Christine Baker-Smith, and Elizabeth Looker. 2019b. City University of New York #RealCollege Survey. Report, March. https://hope4college.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/HOPE_realcollege_CUNY_report_final_webversion.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2019.
- ———. 2019c. California Community Colleges #RealCollege Survey. Report, March. https://hope4college.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/HOPE_realcollege_CUNY_report_final_webversion.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2019.
- Government Accountability Office (GAO). 2018. Better Information Could Help Eligible College Students Access Federal Food Assistance Benefits. Report. U.S. Government Accountability Office, December. https://www.gao.gov/assets/700/696254.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2019.
- Ma, Jennifer, Matea Pender, and Meredith Welch. 2016. Education Pay 2016: The Benefits of Higher Education for Individuals and Society. Report. New York: College Board. https://trends.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/education-pays-2016-full-report.pdf. Accessed 15 Apr 2019.
- Meza, Anthony, Emily Altman, Suzanna Martinez, and Cindy W. Leung. 2018. “It’s a Feeling That One Is Not Worth Food”: A Qualitative Study Exploring the Psychosocial Experience and Academic Consequences of Food Insecurity Among College Students. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, December 12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2018.09.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mulligan, Jessica, and Emily Brunson. 2017. The “Anecdote” Insult, or Why Health Policy Needs Stories. Medical Anthropology Quarterly, March 7. http://medanthroquarterly.org/2017/03/07/the-anecdote-insult-or-why-health-policy-needs-stories/#. Accessed 24 May 2019.
- Nazmi, Aydin, Suzanna Martinez, Ajani Byrd, Derrick Robinson, Stephanie Bianco, Jennifer Maguire, Rashida M. Crutchfield, Kelly Condron, and Lorrene Ritchie. 2018. A Systematic Review of Food Insecurity among US Students in Higher Education. Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition. 1–16, June 22. https://doi.org/10.1080/19320248.2018.1484316.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nellum, Christopher. 2015. Fighting Food Insecurity on Campus. Higher Education Today. http://www.higheredtoday.org. Accessed 1 Mar 2016.
- Patton-López, Megan M., Daniel F. López-Cevallos, Doris I. Cancel-Tirado, and Leticia Vazquez. 2014. Prevalence and Correlates of Food Insecurity among Students Attending a Midsize Rural University in Oregon. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 46 (3): 209–214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2013.10.007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- U.S. Department of Education. 2015. Demographic and Enrollment Characteristics of Nontraditional Undergraduates: 2011–2012. Report. Washington, DC. https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2015/2015025.pdf. Accessed 24 May 2019.
- US Department of Agriculture (USDA) Economic Research Service. 2017. Food Security in the U.S. Survey Tools. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/survey-tools/#household. Accessed 20 Sep 2018.
- ———. 2018a. Food Security in the U.S. Measurement. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/measurement/. Accessed 8 Sep 2018.
- ———. 2018b. Food Security in the U.S. Key Statistics & Graphics. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/key-statistics-graphics/. Accessed 8 Sep 2018.
- Weaver, Robert R., Nicole A. Vaugh, Sean P. Hendricks, Penny E. McPherson-Myers, Qian Jia, Shari L. Willis, and Kevin P. Rescigo. 2019. University Student Food Insecurity and Academic Performance. Journal of American College Health, May 7. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2019.1600522.