Quality Futures? The Case for Re-democratising Early Childhood Education and Care
The conclusion chapter draws the book to a close by uniting the common threads of discussion into a single urgent line of questioning: what and who are early childhood education and care settings for, and who decides? Dominant historical and contemporary constructions of early childhood services are critiqued, and tensions are identified in regard to the inadequacy of neoliberal constructions of early childhood services in our uncertain times. Divergent futures for quality in early childhood settings are imagined as a means by which to identify pathways forward through every day examples of activism and change.
KeywordsEarly childhood policy futures Early childhood services History and philosophy of early childhood
- Ball, J., and A. Pence. 2000. “Involving Communities in Constructions of Culturally Appropriate ECE Curriculum.” Australian Journal of Early Childhood Education 25: 21–25.Google Scholar
- Bowlby, J. 1951. Maternal Care and Mental Health. Geneva: World Health Organization.Google Scholar
- Dahlberg, G., and P. Moss. 2005. Ethics and Politics in Early Childhood Education. New York: Routledge Falmer.Google Scholar
- Dahlberg, G., P. Moss, and A. Pence. 2006. Beyond Quality in Early Childhood Education and Care: Languages of Evaluation, 2nd ed. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Dalli, C., E. J. White, J. Rockel, I. Duhn, E. Buchanan, S. Davidson, S. Ganly, L. Kus, and B. Wang. 2011. Quality Early Childhood Education for Under-Two-Year-Olds: What Should It Look Like? A Literature Review. Wellington, NZ: New Zealand Ministry of Education.Google Scholar
- Education Central. 2018. “Education Minister Announces Major Education Reforms.” Educationcentral.co.nz, February 21. https://educationcentral.co.nz/education-minister-announces-major-education-reforms/.
- Freire, P. 2004. Pedagogy of Hope: Reliving Pedagogy of the Oppressed. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Giroux, H. 2011. On Critical Pedagogy. New York: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Goodman, I. 2007. “All the Lonely People: The Struggle for Private Meaning and Public Purpose in Education.” Critical studies in Education 48 (1): 1.Google Scholar
- Gray, P. 2011. “The Decline of Play and the Rise of Psychopathology in Children and Adolescents.” American Journal of Play 3 (4): 443–463.Google Scholar
- Gustafson, H. 2011. “Relational Futures in Preschool.” Journal of Future Studies 15 (4): 121–132.Google Scholar
- Headspace. 2019. “Majority of Aussie Student Stressed, Depressed.” https://headspace.org.au/blog/majority-of-aussie-students-stressed-depressed/.
- Moss, P. 2009. There Are Alternatives! Markets and Democratic Experimentalism in Early Childhood Education and Care. Working Paper No. 53. The Hague, The Netherlands: Bernard van Leer Foundation and Bertelsmann Stiftung.Google Scholar
- NHS. 2018. Mental Health of Children and Young People in England, 2017: Summary of Key Findings. https://files.digital.nhs.uk/A6/EA7D58/MHCYP%202017%20Summary.pdf.
- Nitecki, E., and H. Wasmuth. 2017. “Global Trends in Early Childhood Practice: Working Within the Limitations of the Global Education Reform Movement.” Global Education Review 4 (3): 1–13.Google Scholar
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). 2018. OECD Labour Force Statistics 2008–2017. Paris: OECD.Google Scholar
- Pacini-Ketchabaw, V., and A. Pence. 2005. “Contextualising the Reconceptualist Movement in Canadian Early Childhood Education.” In Canadian Early Childhood Education: Broadening and Deepening Discussions of Quality, edited by A. Pence and V. Pacini-Ketchabaw, 5–20. Ottawa, Canada: Canadian Child Care Federation.Google Scholar
- Penn, H. 2011. Quality in Early Childhood Services: An International Perspective. Maidenhead: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Scott, M., W. Wilcox, R. Ryberg, and L. DeRose. 2015. World Family Map 2015: Mapping Family Change and Child Well-Being Outcomes. https://ifstudies.org/ifs-admin/resources/reports/wfm-2015-forweb.pdf.
- Sims, M. 2017. “Neoliberalism and Early Childhood.” Cogent Education 4: 1–10.Google Scholar
- Urban, M., and C. Rubiano. 2014. Privatisation in Early Childhood Education: An Explorative Study on Impacts and Implications. London: Education International.Google Scholar
- Wagner, J. 2006. “An Outsider’s Perspective: Childhoods and Early Childhood in the Nordic Countries.” In Nordic Childhoods and Early Education: Philosophy, Research, Policy and Practice in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden, edited by J. Einarsdottir and J. Wagner, 289–306. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.Google Scholar
- Yarn Strong Sista. 2019. “APPEC Possum Skin Pedagogy Project.” https://yarnstrongsista.com/pedagogy/.
- Yeatman, A. 2017. The Question for Our Times: Institution Design for a Free Society. Sydney, NSW: Whitlam Institute, University of Western Sydney.Google Scholar