Effect of Shape of Cutting Edge on Face Milled Surface Topography
For improved machining efficiency, in addition to the increase in material removal performance, the operating conditions and the assurance of the roughness values specified by the manufacturers for the surface of the component must be considered. In this article the topography of surfaces created with the same cutting data is analyzed with different geometry inserts. It is shown how the 2D and 3D roughness parameters can be estimated in different cases. Then the theoretical (estimated) and actual values from cutting operations are inspected, and the differences between them are discussed. Finally, the different versions are ranked based on the smallest achievable roughness values, and it was found, that the round insert gives the lowest roughness values.
KeywordsFace milling Surface roughness Theoretical roughness Insert geometry 3D roughness
The authors greatly appreciate the support of the National Research, Development and Innovation Office – NKFIH (No. of Agreement: K 116876). The described study was carried out as part of the EFOP-3.6.1-16-00011 “Younger and Renewing University – Innovative Knowledge City – institutional development of the University of Miskolc aiming at intelligent specialization” project implemented in the framework of the program Szechenyi 2020. Both grants are gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.van Luttervelt, C.A., Childs, T.H.C., Jawahir, I.S., Klocke, F., Venuvinod, P.K., Altintas, Y., Armarego, E., Dornfeld, D., Grabec, I., Leopold, J., Lindstrom, B., Lucca, D., Obikawa, T., Shirakashi, Sato, H.: Present situation and future trends in modelling of machining operations progress report of the CIRP working group ‘modelling of machining operations’. CIRP Ann. Manuf. Technol. 47(2), 587–626 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Savkovic, B., Kovac, P., Mankova, I., Gostimirovic, M., Rokosz, K., Rodic, D.: Surface roughness modeling of semi solid aluminum milling by fuzzy logic. J. Adv. Technol. Eng. Stud. 3(2), 44–56 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Kundrák, J., Felho, C.: 3D roughness parameters of surfaces face milled by special tools. Manuf. Technol. 16(3), 532–538 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Felho, C.: Investigation of surface roughness in machining by single and multi-point tools. Ph.D. thesis, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Germany (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.C45/1.0503 Non-alloy quality steel - equivalent, chemical composition, properties. http://www.steelnumber.com/en/steel_composition_eu.php?name_id=152