This chapter examines the potential role for hydrogen in future vehicles. The chapter opens with a look back at the history of the car before focussing on fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) as part of a wider family of electric vehicle technologies. Issues of safety, refuelling practicalities and technological innovation are considered. The chapter closes with consideration of the vehicle types most suitable for hydrogen-fuelled FCEV propulsion.
We gratefully acknowledge the assistance of Professor Bartek Glowacki. All responsibility for errors or omissions rests with the authors.
- 1.Sousanis, J. World vehicle population tops 1 billion units. August 15, 2011 [cited September 21, 2018]. Available from: https://www.wardsauto.com/news-analysis/world-vehicle-population-tops-1-billion-units.
- 2.Brennecke, H. 2013. Volkswagen in the United States: An evolving growth story. January 16, 2013. Available from: https://www.volkswagenag.com/presence/investorrelation/publications/presentations/2013/01-january/2013-01-16+DTW+DB+Conf+Website+Top+Copy.pdf.
- 3.Nuttall, W.J., B.A. Glowacki, and S. Krishnamurthy.2016. Next steps for hydrogen. London: Institute of Physics.Google Scholar
- 4.Derwent, R., et al. 2006. Global environmental impacts of the hydrogen economy, vol. 1, 57–67.Google Scholar
- 5.Total US car sales roughly 6.3 million (2017) [Source: Statista] Peak Toyota Prius sales (2013) 145,000 [Source: http://www.hybridcars.com/is-toyotas-king-of-hybrid-sales-the-prius-losing-its-edge/]. Hence Toyota Prius achieved roughly 2.3% of the US market. See also: Worldwide sales of Toyota motor hybrids top 4 M units - Prius family accounts for almost 72%. Energy, technologies, issues and policies for sustainable mobility, 22 May 2012; Available from: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/05/tmc-20120522.html.
- 6.Cooper, D. 2018. It’s too early to write off hydrogen vehicles. Available from: https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/29/hydrogen-fuel-cell-toyota-mirai-evs/?guccounter=1.
- 7.Hasegawa, T., et al. 2016. Development of the fuel cell system in the Mirai FCV, 5. SAE International.Google Scholar
- 8.Toyota. 2018. The facts. Available from: https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/new-mirai/the-facts.
- 9.Toyota. 2018. Company background. Available from: http://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1526917964180412MCompanybackground.pdf.
- 10.Autocar. 2018. Toyota Mirai prices and specs. October 8, 2018. Available from: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/mirai/specs.
- 11.McKenzie Smith, P. 2018. Hydrogen is the future of decarbonised mobility—Fuel cell endurance cars confirmed for Le Mans. The Telegraph. London.Google Scholar
- 12.Burt, M. 2016. Green GT H2 Hydrogen racing car makes UK debut at Goodwood. Available from: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/green-gt-h2-hydrogen-racing-car-makes-uk-debut-goodwood.
- 13.Ricci, M., P. Bellaby, and R. Flynn. 2010. Hydrogen risks: A critical analysis of expert knowledge and expectations. In Hydrogen energy: Economic and social challenges, ed. P. Ekins, 217–240. London.Google Scholar
- 14.M.R. Swain. Fuel leak simulation. University of Miami, undated. Available from: http://evworld.com/library/Swainh2vgasVideo.pdf.
- 15.Milligan, B. Electric car buyers claim they were misled by Nissan. BBC Business 2018, June 29, 2018. Available from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44575399.
- 16.Kunze, K., and Kircher O. 2012. Cryo-compressed hydrogen storage. Presentation at Cryogenic Cluster Day, Oxford, September 28, 2012. Available at: https://stfc.ukri.org/stfc/cache/file/F45B669C-73BF-495B-B843DCDF50E8B5A5.pdf.
- 17.Hydrogen scaling up-a sustainable pathway for the global energy transition. 2017. Available from: http://hydrogencouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Hydrogen-scaling-up-Hydrogen-Council.pdf.
- 18.Agence-France Presse, Germany launches world’s first hydrogen-powered train, as published in The Guardian, September 17, 2018. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/17/germany-launches-worlds-first-hydrogen-powered-train.
- 19.Fuel cell trains ‘on their way to the UK’, 11. Energy World, June 2018.Google Scholar
- 20.Nikola Motor Company, Nikola One website information: https://nikolamotor.com/one.
- 21.Johnson, Eric M. 2018. Anheuser-Busch orders up to 800 hydrogen-fueled big rigs. Reuters Technology News, May 3, 2018. Available at: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-ab-inbev-orders-nikola/anheuser-busch-orders-up-to-800-hydrogen-fueled-big-rigs-idUKKBN1I41JI.
- 22.Ed Wiseman.2018. Hyundai to supply 1000 hydrogen fuel cell lorries in Switzerland, Daily Telegraph, September 27, 2018. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/hyundai-supply-1000-hydrogen-fuel-cell-lorries-switzerland/.
- 23.China: Shandong Heavy Industry to Develop and Implement 2,000 Hydrogen Fuel Cell Buses in Shandong Province, FuelCellsWorks, August 24, 2018. Available at: https://fuelcellsworks.com/news/china-shandong-heavy-industry-to-develop-and-implement-2000-hydrogen-fuel-cell-buses-in-shandong-p.
- 24.BMW Hydrogen 7. November 2006. Available from: https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/files/bmw_hydrogen_7.pdf.
- 25.Nica, G. 2016. Why did BMW really stop making the hydrogen 7 model. 7-series 2016, August 17, 2016. Available from: http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/08/17/bmw-stop-making-hydrogen-7-model/.
- 27.Andrew, P. 2017. What is the Pulse-R engine? Available from: https://www.oaktec.net/what-is-the-pulse-r-engine/.
- 28.Stecher, N. 2015. Mazda’s confusing plan to resurrect the famously dirty rotary engine. December 1, 2015. Available from: https://www.wired.com/2015/12/mazdas-confusing-plan-to-resurrect-the-famously-dirty-rotary-engine/.