This chapter summarises the current global hydrogen industry. The dominant role of fossil fuels in hydrogen production today is introduced, and the prospects for future growth in hydrogen demand are outlined. The term “Mature Hydrogen” is introduced, and comparison is invited with the role played by renewables-based “Green Hydrogen”.
- 3.Power Generation 2018. 9th September 2018. Available from: http://www.airproducts.com/Industries/Energy/Power/Power-Generation/faqs.aspx.
- 4.MarketsandMarkets. Hydrogen generation market by geography, by mode of generation & delivery, applications and technology—Global trends & forecasts to 2019 in Hydrogen Generation Market 2014, 1–156. Washington: MarketsandMarkets Inc.Google Scholar
- 6.Hydrogen—The key energy enabler, in Gasworld. 2013, 38–40.Google Scholar
- 7.Thompson L., B.F., Burns L, Friedland R, Kiczek E, Nozik A, Richmond G, Shaw R, Wilson D. 2013. Report of the Hydrogen Production Expert Panel to HTAC 2013. Washington DC: United States Department of Energy.Google Scholar
- 8.Pasion, C., M. Amar, and M. Delaney. 2016. Inventory of New York City Greenhouse Gas Emissions November 2014, in Mayor’s Office of Long-Term Planning and Sustainability. New York.Google Scholar
- 12.Global Market Study on Hydrogen. 9th September 2018. Available from: https://www.persistencemarketresearch.com/market-research/hydrogen-market.asp.
- 13.Transport and the Hydrogen Economy. 2014. Available from: http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Non-Power-Nuclear-Applications/Transport/Transport-and-the-Hydrogen-Economy/.
- 14.Hydrogen. 2015. Chemical economics handbook 2015. Available from: https://www.ihs.com/products/hydrogen-chemical-economics-handbook.html.
- 15.Cockerill, R. 2018. A new leader crowned: Praxair and Linde to complete $90bn merger of equals. Gasworld, 22 October 2018. Available from: https://www.gasworld.com/praxair-linde-to-complete-90bn-merger/2015680.article.
- 16.Hydrogen Council. 2018. Available from: http://hydrogencouncil.com.
- 17.Hydrogen scaling up-a sustainable pathway for the global energy transition. 2017, Hydrogen Council. Available from http://hydrogencouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Hydrogen-scaling-up-Hydrogen-Council.pdf.